Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Methadone not needed for pain but craving

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
truredhead

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Methadone not needed for pain but craving Empty
PostSubject: Methadone not needed for pain but craving   Methadone not needed for pain but craving EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:30 pm

The doc at my clinic will not listen for some reason every time I ask for an increase in the last 2 yrs, he says it is for pain and he will not do it. He is a stubborn man who lumps all of us together. I have been on methadone for 17 years, I now get disability for osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. OF course I have some pain, I am 60 years old with bad joints. What should I do, Lie to him and tell him I do not have pain? Well anyway The reason I want an increase (I am on 110 Mgs)is my husband is dying of cancer and I will bring him home to do this. I do not want to be tempted because there will be opiates here and I will have to adminster them. I want to be strong and let my methadone help my addiction. I have not had a dirty UA in the 17 yrs I have been on methadone. I have a different life now and do not have anyone that uses anything around me and the friends I have do not know my history. I am in a different state now. Give me some tips on convincing the old man that yes even older people need a increase after many years on methadone, I have hep c and it is not metabolizing well as it could I am sure. I have asked many times to go up, at one time I was on 160 and ever since I came down he will not let me go up again! Help me guys!
Back to top Go down
Finallyachance

Finallyachance

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Methadone not needed for pain but craving   Methadone not needed for pain but craving EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Well you would think the Hep C would be a good reason. Did you tell him you have cravings and want to use and you are winging it on the premise that you don't want to lose your takehome status but you don't know if that is going to hold out??? I know my doc has given increases to menopausal women...Do you take pain meds for the fibro??? Do you take benzo's as thhat could be a reluctance there????
Back to top Go down
truredhead

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Methadone not needed for pain but craving   Methadone not needed for pain but craving EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 9:54 am

Hello there finallyachance,
Great screen name by the way, I need a chance myself! I do take Lyrica and magnesium with malic acid. I have a appt thurs morning with a doc taking the regular docs place while he is on vacation. I was hoping that would be a plus but my counselor said that she was gonna offer me tramadol for pain. Can you believe that? Tramadol can send you into withdrawal I read. So I guess she is not familiar with addiction, eh? The clinic knows I am on disability so of course everything they blame on my disability with the degenerative arthritis. so I will tell them I am craving in which I am, I am not use to being around alot of narcotics in which I will give my husband for pain. He is not an addict an does not understand so I do not even mention it to him and I do not want the nurses to get paranoid. I darn sure do not want that doc to notify them. He wrote all my doctors a few years ago and informed them I am on methadone and they could get in deep crap for giving me narcotics. Can you believe that? Now my chart has drug seeker stamped on the front. I just hope I can make them understand my dose when it was higher kept me from craving or even considering relapse but now I am not so sure!
Back to top Go down
Finallyachance

Finallyachance

Female

PostSubject: Re: Methadone not needed for pain but craving   Methadone not needed for pain but craving EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:27 pm

You might wanna consider this....I took a calender in to my doc with an itemized time and day of each craving and withdrawal symptom I came into contact with....Doctors like documentation...I worked with them for years and found it to be true. You know that a consistent record of how you are feeling after 5 pm in the day to back date a calendar of sorts. This worked for me with my doc and now he actually implemented a rule that people who need increasing need to show a collective amount of dates and times that they are experiencing symptoms of withdrawals. I was just posting on another site a while ago about a condition called hyperalgesia that is so many times a condition we develop after years of addiction and/or dependency. Dependency is what you have when you have been on MAT for a length if time greater than as less as even a few weeks, but after years of MAT for sure........

http://www.spineuniversity.com/files/Journal_Watch/spineu_opioid_hyperalgesia.pdf
Now researchers have found that opioids can
encourage or increase the sensitivity of how
someone feels pain. This is called a heightened
pain sensitivity, or opioid-induced hyperalgesia.
Hyperalgesia simply means more
sensitive response to pain than what is considered
to be normal.
Doctors have long known that hyperalgesia
can happen to people who are withdrawing
from opioids, after an addiction. They were
surprised to find that this could happen at any
time during opioid therapy, not just when a
patient stops taking it. This brought about the
theory that if the medication wasn’t effective
anymore because of the increased sensitivity,
maybe the body was somehow interpreting this
as withdrawal and giving the withdrawal-like
symptoms, such as diarrhea and shaking

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120423/Opiate-addiction-disorders-associated-with-opioid-induced-hyperalgesia.aspx
Results showed that maintenance therapy with either methadone or buprenorphine for hyperalgesic heroin-dependent individuals did not significantly change or worsen their pain responses. Based on these findings, the authors recommend that clinicians consider the potential impact of opioid-induced hyperalgesia associated with opiate addiction disorders when treating patients who use opiates legitimately or illicitly. [u]
Back to top Go down
Finallyachance

Finallyachance

Female

PostSubject: Re: Methadone not needed for pain but craving   Methadone not needed for pain but craving EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:34 pm

And yes tramadol is a waste of time and I do believe it can interact with dones. Is it your MMT doctor that is giving you the tramadol?? Cravings can be as debilitating as withdrawals. I by no means am suggesting this but people who get increases are clients that start showing dirty drug screens after they have been stable for so long. But at my clinic after two in a row dirties we lose takehome status.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Methadone not needed for pain but craving   Methadone not needed for pain but craving Empty

Back to top Go down

Methadone not needed for pain but craving
Page 1 of 1