Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
michelles

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:11 am

Hi everyone.

I came here hoping that I can understand what my fiance is going through. I'm really confused and worried about him.

About 18 months ago he started vomiting for days on end. He has been in and out of the hospital and no one could tell us what was wrong. They were calling it Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome for a long time and now we are seeing a pain management doctor that is telling us he believes my fiance may be addicted to percocet and that the pills have screwed up his stomach which is why he keeps vomiting.

My fiance has been taking the pills for about 4 years now and it started because of legit pain and he just never stopped. I didn't realize how bad it was until just recently. I had no idea the damage that percocet could do to your stomach and liver. He's on his 4th week of methadone pain cocktail to try to ditch the addiction to percocet. The dr is weaning him slowly and they don't even tell him what the prescription is because they don't want it to mess with his head. All I know is that for the last 3 weeks he has slept 22 out of 24 hours a day. When he is awake, it's almost like he is drunk. He cannot speak full sentences without slurring and making no sense. He does really weird stuff like writing out a bill and falling asleep sitting up (in the middle of writing). He sweats profusely (never did before) and rambles on and on in his sleep. He's turned into this person that I don't know and it's scaring me.

The dr says this will get better, this is normal, etc. But everything I've read says that this may indicate the dose is too high. I want to trust the dr, but I can't help but be concerned.

Thank you all for reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Michelles, I don't know about anyone else but to me at least it sounds like your boyfriend is over medicated. You said that he is on a cocktail, what else if anything is in this cocktail he is being given? Is this a doctor that is experienced in prescribing methadone? Why does the doctor think this will mess with his head if he knows what medication he is taking? Every patient has a right to know what a doctor is giving them.
I had never heard of "cycle vomiting" unless you posted about it so I looked it up just to read up on it.
See below:

CVS is characterized by episodes or cycles of severe nausea and vomiting that last for hours, or even days, that alternate with intervals with no symptoms. Although originally thought to be a pediatric disease, CVS occurs in all age groups. Medical researchers believe CVS and migraine headaches are related (see CVS and Migraine).
Each episode of CVS is similar to previous ones, meaning the episodes tend to start at the same time of day, last the same length of time, and occur with the same symptoms and level of intensity. Although CVS can begin at any age, in children it starts most often between the ages of 3 and 7.
Episodes can be so severe that a person has to stay in bed for days, unable to go to school or work. The exact number of people with CVS is unknown, but medical researchers believe more people may have the disorder than commonly thought. Because other more common diseases and disorders also cause cycles of vomiting, many people with CVS are initially misdiagnosed until other disorders can be ruled out. CVS can be disruptive and frightening not just to people who have it but to family members as well.
You can read more about it here:
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.aspx

I'm no doctor and I can't give you medical advice but this just doesn't sound right. What are the doctors plans after he weans your boyfriend off methadone, proclaim him cured of his addiction?
I think if it were me, I'd be seeking a second opinion.
Let's hear some feedback from out other members.
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin"

Never take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
michelles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:25 am

I thought it sounded the same way....that he was over medicated. This dr is well known in the area and came highly recommended....he was our second opinion dr.

His thinking was that my fiance has been taking too much percocet for so long that must be the explanation for the constant vomiting. Per their policy in their office the bottle of methadone tells you what is in it, but not the dose. The dr told us that this keeps people from worrying about the dose and worrying about being weaned. He did tell us it could take quite awhile as he doesn't want him to experience discomfort or any of the side effects of withdrawal. I'll see if I can get the bottle and post what exactly is in it. I don't know a thing about any of these medications so it's like reading french to me.

After they wean him from the methadone they are hoping that the vomiting will stop. He has already stopped vomiting - which is really amazing because that's all he has done for 18 months +. But that might also because he is completely out of it and sound asleep most of the day =/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Please keep in touch and if you are able to tell what is in the medication that would be helpful. Glad to hear that he has stopped with the stomach distress. Honestly we are all different and out bodies react differently to medications. With that being said, I started my addiction with percocet and went on from there. I don't remember having the symptoms that your bf is having. I do know there is a lot of tylenol in percoset I won't if the effects of that on his liver is what caused some of the vomiting.
He is lucky to have you there by his side to keep an eye on him like you have been. We are here anytime for you even if it is to vent.

Back to top Go down
michelles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I have no one to talk to about this as we haven't told anyone. He is very embarrassed and hasn't told his parents or even his closest friends. That leaves me with being there for him and not being able to talk to anyone close to me about it. I will look at the bottle tonight and come back to post what is listed on it. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michelles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Below I've listed what is on his bottle of methadone pain cocktail:

Active Ingredients:

Methadone, Levorphanol, Dextromethorphan, Gabapentin POW, Tizanidine 4 MG TAB, Abilify 30 MG, Metocloprami POW HCL USP, ORA-Blend SUS CTRS/BRY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't understand, If your boyfriend is being treated for an addiction to opiates then why not simply prescribe methadone or let him attend the clinic? Or even put him on Suboxone.
Why use so many drugs? Does he have any other illnesses that you know of? That is a lot of medication. How does he feel about his treatment? Is he on board with it or just going along with the doctor because he says this is what he needs to do?
Has the doctor said anything about what his after care treatment will be. There has to be something after wards. You can't simple take a person, tell them they are addicted to opiates, treat them and let them go. You cannot cure addiction. You can manage the symptoms. If you could cure it, then there wouldn't be so many of us out here. We would have been cured long ago.
I would sit down with him (your bf) and find out how he feels and what he wants to do. Is he comfortable with this treatment? If he is, there really isn't anything that you can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michelles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm not sure the answer to that. He's been seeing a team of doctors and this is what they felt best for him. Suboxone was never even offered as an option and neither of us really know anything out it so we wouldnt have though to ask for it.

He does have anxiety and depression but even then, he was never medicated like he is now. He is on board 100% because he really wants to ditch the pill habit and live a normal life. The dr has suggested that he started going to see a psychiatrist along with the methadone pain cocktail to help him through this mentally but he cant even stay away so how is he supposed to talk to someone about how he is feeling?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 pm

I understand completely what you are saying. How can someone function if they are so over medicated they are unable to participate.
I feel badly for you and I feel badly for your boyfriend, it sounds like he is missing out on so much if he is only able to just sleep.
Talk to him about making an appointment with the doctor as his has suggested. Maybe if he gets out and about it might help. He might also be able to get the other doctor to help with them lowering some of the other medications.

Back to top Go down
D
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Personally I think doctors now a days are too quick to prescribe medications. Sometimes some of these medications given create more problems. It is like a never ending battle. This is your boyfriends call, personally I would rather attend the clinic for methadone rather than be put on this cocktail. But that is just my preference.

Back to top Go down
floydfx05

Female
Number of posts : 71
Humor : PEACE
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:07 pm

wow I have never heard of anybody being medicated like this for addiction. unless they were in the hospital, cause hes out of it. Theres got to be more wrong with him, or there using him as a guineia pig, I dont know, you would think the Drs would just put him on methadone and maybe something to stop vomiting.
You need to REALLY asks these drs whats up.
Good luck to you and god bless
PEACE

Debbie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....   

Back to top Go down

Fiance Prescribed Methadone Pain Cocktail.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1