Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New this weekend & confused!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
toofarnorth

Male
Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : On Disability - SSDI
Humor : Have not laughed much, for too long.
Registration date : 2014-03-23

PostSubject: New this weekend & confused!   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Hello out there. Am I in the right place to get started? I came across this site by accident looking on the web for help with getting through the methadone withdrawals that I just started going through. Ive been on 100 Mil a day at a pain clinic for almost 4 years and they will not raise me. They are even talking about dropping everyone down to a max of 80 mil a day. Anyway, long story short, I went through too much of my scrip and now I'm out and I don't go back in for 12 days. I really fu..ed up! Here in Anchorage, the only methadone clinic we have has a waiting list of over a year. I have no where to turn and I'm 60 years old with a lot of medical issues and my body is pretty tore up and weak. I don't think I can go through cold turkey withdrawals again. I figure I have two days before I am in full withdrawal. Help! Anyone out there that can help me? I've learned my lesson but 12 days is a long ways away. And no, there are no detox centers in Anchorage and the two hospitals will not help either.  Crying or Very sad Thank you to all of that are supporting this site and blessings to all of you that are just trying to have a good life.

Looking for help!

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Finallyachance

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: Re: New this weekend & confused!   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Oh John I am so sorry to read of such discomforts....Pain clinics run a bit different than methadone clinics which is what I am more knowledgeable of...BUT WITHDRAWALS ARE WITHDRAWALS anywho....Without you going to the ER and telling them the truth or finding some story (I hate to suggest such a thing but its not like we get treated the same as patients that left their insulin at a family reunion 500 miles away and you need it replaced iyswim)....but maybe they might help you with a week or so meds until you can get your script back in 12 days....

I noticed you spoke of a methadone clinic in anchorage ....does that mean you feel you might should transfer more in methadone maintenance rather than pain management....I only say this because it sounds to me if "you took too many and left yourself halfway short" you might be having some addiction issues and just need help there getting on an optimal dose that will defeat your pain and also benefit from what MMT is designed for to get the patient free from cravings to take more and more opiates and subside the withdrawals we feel leaving active addiction behind us....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Finallyachance

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: Re: New this weekend & confused!   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:26 pm

OOPS sorry back to suggestions....well take in mind I am a methadone patient advocate not a doctor so anything I suggest I can't back up medically...but sometimes you can talk an ER Physician into prescribing Gababentin (nuerotin), helps restless legs and anxiousness, lomotil helps stomach disorders and zofran (nausea) or things along that line. If you flat out tell them you are in withdrawals from the loss of your medications....

Keeping yourself as comfortable as possible with Ibuprofen, warm baths, lots of fluids and SUPPORT...I admin/moderate a forum where we have people detox/withdrawing off methadone now that might could help share thier experience at atwatchdog.lefora.com or the link is below in my signature.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toofarnorth

Male

PostSubject: Grace   Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Thank you so much for your response and your good advice. Yes, I would much rather be in a maintenance clinic then at a pain clinic but Anchorage only has one and there is a waiting list over a year long and at this time they are not adding anyone new to the waiting list. It's pathetic! I have to go right now but I will write more very soon. Thank you again for getting back to me.

Blessings

John

Finallyachance wrote:
OOPS sorry back to suggestions....well take in mind I am a methadone patient advocate not a doctor so anything I suggest I can't back up medically...but sometimes you can talk an ER Physician into prescribing Gababentin (nuerotin), helps restless legs and anxiousness, lomotil helps stomach disorders and zofran (nausea)  or things along that line.  If you flat out tell them you are in withdrawals from the loss of your medications....

Keeping yourself as comfortable as possible with Ibuprofen, warm baths, lots of fluids and SUPPORT...I admin/moderate a forum where we have people detox/withdrawing off methadone now that might could help share thier experience at atwatchdog.lefora.com or the link is below in my signature.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New this weekend & confused!   Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 pm

John I notice that there maybe one other clinic that you can check out however it is some distance from Anchorage. This one located in Fairbanks. I see that it is 6 hours to drive but 55 min to fly. Would that be possible for you?
I do realize that you said you were taking Methadone for pain but you also mentioned the wait list on the clinic from Anchorage. Is it a possibility that you are looking into the idea of attending a clinic for maintenance?
It is sad that there aren't more clinics but I do know of a lot of people who do travel great distances to get to their clinics and out of state if needed.
Good luck and please keep posted on how things go with you.
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin"

Never take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
toofarnorth

Male

PostSubject: Re: New this weekend & confused!   Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Thank you so much Dee... I can feel the kindness in your soul. You have a beautiful spirit... I don't feel good and I'm pretty weak. I was surprised to see you in my in box. It blessed me and gave me strength. I will send you a return email here in a little while and respond to all the information and suggestions you have faithfully sent me. Also, I will check out the other forum and your blog with the links listed by your signature. Thank you for understanding...

John
Anchorage AK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zac_Talbott

Male
Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : Program Director, Counseling Solutions of Chatsworth
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Re: New this weekend & confused!   Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:34 am

Hey John,

I met a lady at the last AATOD Conference in Philadelphia that runs a clinic in Fairbanks, AK. She said that there are few clinics in Alaska and most of them are very small. I just checked SAMHSA's clinic directory and they list two in Anchorage.....

Narcotic Drug Treatment Center, Inc.
520 East Fourth Ave., Suite 102
Anchorage
AK
(907) 276-6430

And

WCHS, Inc., dba: Anchorage Treatment Solutions
121 W. Fireweed Lane, Ste 105
Anchorage
AK
(844) 490-6533

I'm not sure which one you're aware of or if you've talked to both of them, but I'd definitely give them both a call and see what the deal is!

Keep coming back to the forums....peer support is very important. Look forward to chatting more.

Zac
Maryville, TN

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.counselingsolutions.clinic
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New this weekend & confused!   

Back to top Go down

New this weekend & confused!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1