Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

methadone clinic coming to KERR STREET in OAKVILLE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

methadone clinic coming to KERR STREET in OAKVILLE Empty
PostSubject: methadone clinic coming to KERR STREET in OAKVILLE   methadone clinic coming to KERR STREET in OAKVILLE EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:46 am

I realize this is an OP ED piece, but the person is supporting a MMT clinic and I like what they have to say. I wanted to share it with you all. It comes from the Oakville Beaver and you can find the original article at http://www.oakvillebeaver.com/opinions/article/278325

Methadone treatment clinic should be welcomed

Letters
Sep 09, 2009

Re: Methadone treatment clinic coming to Kerr Street, Oakville Beaver, Sept. 4.
I was very pleased to read that a Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) clinic will be opening its doors in our community because the reality is, people have addictions (yes, even in Oakville) and many choose methadone as a way to manage their addiction and seek recovery.
Methadone is very carefully monitored and people who receive it are involved in ongoing treatment to manage their addiction, their life and reduce the harm.
As I read the article and the fears and ultimately stereotypes that some local shop owners and the BIA had, it saddened me. Often what comes to mind when people think of heroin addictions is a drug user ‘shooting up’ on the corner of the street with dirty needles lying carelessly about. What people need to also remember is many people also have addictions to licit drugs such as OxyContin and Demerol.
Sometimes when discussing drug addictions, we lose the human face. Someone with a drug addiction can be anyone from our next-door neighbor, aunt, son, husband, wife, daughter, politician, teacher and friend. It is not “those people.”
A question to ask. ‘Would the concerned community members and store-owners be as concerned if a Beer Store or LCBO was going to open next door?’ Using the same logic, alcohol is considered a drug and people attend the LCBO/Beer Store to get or buy substances. Many consume this substance responsibly and socially. However, there are some consumers who do not drink responsibly and who have an alcohol dependency. So, why do the LCBO and Beer Store not receive the same debate and criticism as the MMT clinic? In fact, some real estate listings actually boast when property is near the convenience of the LCBO.
People, who get help for their addictions, should be respected for their willingness to seek help and desire to change rather than berated and feared. They should be able to get help within our community free from discrimination and stereotypes.
I want to extend my respect to Halton Region, George Benakopoulos and Dr. Bob Nosal for advocating for the need of this clinic within our community. Welcome.
DANIELLE POMEROY
Back to top Go down

methadone clinic coming to KERR STREET in OAKVILLE
Page 1 of 1