Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY 9/10/09

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY 9/10/09 Empty
PostSubject: THOUGHT FOR THE DAY 9/10/09   THOUGHT FOR THE DAY 9/10/09 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:58 am

I know that NA doesn't agree with any type of ORT (Opiate Replacement Therapy)and they think we should all be able to stay clean without a replacement substance. I don't agree with that ( I have tried it numerous times and it didn't work for me, that is why MMT was my choice of therapy)and I know other on MMT or any other type of ORT will not agree with NA's belief about that philosophy either.

We all have the ultimate goal in mind, (or we should anyway) which is recovery from addiction, and though we may not agree with everything they say, I do think we can take what is beneficial to us from them and "leave the rest" that we don't agree with. In other words, agree to disagree but still strive towards the same ultimate goal.

Having said that, I do like some of the things they put in their recovery text and readings and I think it would be valuable to any recovering addict no matter if you utilize ORT or not. I would never post anything that goes against what I believe has saved so many lives, INCLUDING MY OWN, but this is something from their text that I wanted to share that I think can be helpful to all of us.

Misery Is Optional

"No one is forcing us to give up our misery."

NA Just For Today Basic Text page 29

It's funny to remember how reluctant we once were to surrender to recovery. We seemed to think we had wonderful, fulfilling lives as using addicts and that giving up our drugs would be worse than serving a life sentence at hard labor. In reality, the opposite was true: Our lives were miserable, but we were afraid to trade that familiar misery for the uncertainties of recovery.

It's possible to be miserable in recovery, too, though it's not necessary. No one will force us to work the steps of recovery if we don't WANT to. There is no militia that will force us to do the things that will free us from pain. But we do have a choice. We've already chosen to give up the misery of active addiction for the sanity of recovery. Now, if we're ready to exchange today's misery for even greater peace, we have a means to do just that - if we really want to.

Just for today: I don't have to be miserable unless I really want to be. Today, I will trade in my misery for the benefits of recovery.

-----
Back to top Go down

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY 9/10/09
Page 1 of 1