Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Camelots Shelinda

Female
Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : Horses, computers, reading, music, watching movies
Registration date : 2009-09-14

New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia Empty
PostSubject: New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia   New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 10:34 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Tricia and I hope I did this post right by posting a new topic.
I have been attending a Methadone clinic since the first week in September and, I believe it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I have always struggled with addiction to one thing or another. When I was a teenager I was totally out of control partying and in my twenties I got hooked on cocaine for which I went into residential treatment for. I stayed clean for about ten years and then started drinking. Last January I tore my rotator cuff and began taking Vicodin. Because I am a Medicaid patient they bounced me around and I didn't get a surgeon until the end of April. So, I had been taking more and more vicodin for 4 months and the recovery from the surgery is also long and painful which made it a total of 8 months that I was prescribed the pain meds. I kept needing more and more to feel good/normal and energetic so I would buy them when my script ran low. My doctor tried weaning me off with Tylenol 3 but of course, I just kept buying vicodin. When my habit became too costly I started to get scared especially after I researched what it was like to come off opiates. I was at a very low time in my life and my 16 yr old son and I were staying with my 25 yr old daughter. That is when I made the decision to seek out a clinic. I am currently taking 40 mgs a day and except for constant neausea I feel great. I am so much better emotionally, mentally, physically, even sexually. At first my family was very agaist me taking methadone. I believe this is because of the stigma and bad rep it has. However, now that they see the change in me they have become more supportive. Even when I had ten years clean I did not feel this emotionally and mentally stable. I am seriously considering lifetime maintenance. I have no more desire to drink or do any drugs actually. I don't hurt all over any more and I sleep better than I ever have in my entire life. I was so grateful to find this forum. I have a lot going on in my life right now and need friends. My boyfriend's drinking finally caught up with him and he is sitting in jail. However, it is the best thing that could have happened to him as he has done a complete 180 and is very serious about not drinking.
So, here I am, glad to have found you all. If anyone knows anything about the neausea I have, please post. I like that I have lost weight and look like a million bucks queen But, it is starting to worry me.
Thanks,
Tricia
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia   New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 11:47 pm

New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia Washbo10

Hi Tricia
It is perfectly fine that you posted a new topic. Post all you want. That is what we are here for.
My name is Dee and it is great to have you here with us. It is hard to tell you why you may be having the nausea. Are you having it all day long or just after you dose?
I know for me, I would get nauseated about 20minutes after I dose and it would last for about 15-30 minutes. But that was it for me. That was the only downside I had to Methadone.
Like you I felt so much better and was able to get my life in order.
If it continues or concerns you I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about it. Or maybe some of the other members can tell you something that I can't.
There is nothing wrong in your decision to be on Maintenance life. Many people are and they are able to lead very productive lives.
I hope that you will stick around and continue to post. Recovery isn't easy as we all know and it is a lot better when we have someone to talk to who has walked in our shoes. Let us know how your doing.
Yours in Recovery,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia   New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 am

Hello Tricia,
Thanks so much for sharing your story with us and for not being afraid to speak out and share. I have been on MMT for over 9 yrs but I clearly remember those early months when it felt like a whole new world was opened up to me because of MMT. It was like I was given a new life! I too had family members that weren't supportive of MMT, but after they saw the difference in my life once I had been on MMT for a while and I was able to give them some info, ACCURATE info, about MMT, then they were very supportive.

I tell people all the time, MMT isn't for everyone. If you can stay clean without any type of opiate replacement therapy, then GOOD! I applaud you for that, but for those of us who have had a harder time with traditional treatment and struggled so much, then MMT is the "lesser of the two evils", meaning that I would much rather be on MMT than back to doing what I was doing before.

Please know that you will still have times of struggle even on MMT and that is what we are here for. It is very important to try to work on the reasons behind your addiction as well in addition to MMT. Being on MMT allows us to put aside the hard part of struggling w/cravings and giving our body and mind (the opiate receptors in the brain as well as our spiritual mind)to heal so that we are able to work on the real reasons we are addicts and use. So many times with traditional treatment we can't focus on those issues because we are dealing with the cravings and the physical issues surrounding addiction.

Anyhow, I could go on and on! I mainly wanted to let you know that we are here for you if you need us and we are so glad to have you as part of our group!

If you want to post in ANY category, you go ahead! lol! If you have something interesting you want to share with the group or find an article you would like to share, or a poem.........anything! Feel free to do so.

I am glad to have you as part of our group and I will see you around the forum!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia   New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member - Hi, My Name is Tricia
Page 1 of 1