Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
prodoneboston

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 am

well, i decided to stay on methadone and give it a chance to work if possible for me. i wrote about my rough start with methadone in my previous post "a quick question." now im wondering if anyone has or had in the beginning of treatment sleep issues. When i say this i mean like when i get tired, i need to sleep, there isnt really any way i can fight it but when i am sleeping, it's like i am fighting it. i sleep sitting up, or with my head tilted back and mouth wide open. Sometimes I sleep on my elbow or a variety of these positions. if someone tries to wake me, i am very jumpy, ect.. I'm told I seem very rigid and stiff when I'm sleeping. I get woken up by people in my house alot to them tellingg me to lay down, i will but i end up back in a sitting up posistion. I get twitchy and somewhat spastic before and during sleep or if i wake up too soon. i filmed myself on webcam and saw some of these things for myself and ive woken up in weird posistions too ao i know people arent messing with me. this happened a little when i was using heroin a little but not as bad as this. this is freaking me out and im sick of freaking out my family and getting woken up to them telling me to lay down everyday. anyone have any experience with anything like this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 pm

You know something I went through the same thing when I was taking Methadone. I would fall asleep but it felt like a very light sleep. Like you said, like I was fighting sleep and sleeping at the same time.
I remember one day not long after starting Methadone I was sitting in the chair watching TV and the next thing I knew my sister was telling me to go to bed. But I wasn't tired. I attributed it to being on too high of a dose and lowered my dose.
Once I went down I felt a lot better. But I could not drive in the afternoons as I was afraid of going to sleep while driving. How long again have you been taking Methadone? What is your current dose?
Let us know how things are going
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin"

Never take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
UNIVEGA61

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-19

PostSubject: SLEEPING PROBLEMS   Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:10 am

I do the same thing fall asleep sitting up sometimes bent i half i dident even know i could bend that far well my girfriend took a picture to show me what i was doing and i was constantly being woke up and told to go to bed the whole thing has become very embarasing for me and i have back pain the next day from sleeping bent in half like that the problem is i cant stop it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mmtforme

Male
Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the outdoors
Humor : Caddy Shack
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Sleep on methadone   Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi, Being on methadone has actually improved my sleep. I have had difficulty sleeping for most of my life. Either the problem is difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, or waking up too early and being unable to go back to sleep. When I am on the right dose of methadone, I sleep a little better and fall asleep easier. When I first started methadone, I would doze off easily while watching tv or reading. Once I got to the right dose, and especially split dosing, this has improved greatly. For a while I was taking the 160mg in the morning and I would be sleepy and my dose was also not holding me. When the decision was made for split dosing, I didn't get sleepy and my dose now holds me 24-36 hours. I know everyone can react differently to medications and even the same dose. It is important, I believe to make sure you find the dose that is right for YOU, such that you are not experiencing problems with staying awake and alert throughout the day. We addicts tend to think that "MORE IS BETTER" when it comes to drugs, but that is not always the case, especially with methadone. Even when you find the right dose, you may still experience difficulties. Make sure that you are not taking some other medication that interacts in a negative way with the methadone. A good example of this would be BENZOS (XANAX, ATIVAN, VALIUM, KLONOPIN...) AND METHADONE, and sometimes sedating antidepressants such as Elavil (Amitryptiline). Anyways, I am rambling. Get a good doctor, don't lie to the nurse to get more methadone, and do the next right thing. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 am

hi Prodoneboston!
my name is Cat & i have been on methadone for almost 3 years. i did those same things when i first started methadone. i don't now but i split dose. my total dose is 200mg. i take 100mg around 9am & the other 100mg about 9pm. that works good for me. i was also wondering if you took any other medications which could interact badly & cause some of the side effects? i hope your dose is beginning to be stable & leveling out. keep us posted.
good luck!
Cat
Back to top Go down
floydfx05

Female
Number of posts : 71
Humor : PEACE
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 am

sounds like your nodding, maybe your dose is to high?? I sleep great on methadone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Digmon

Male
Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : sport photography / football / basketball / fishing / anything outside
Registration date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 pm

I've also had trouble with sleep my hole life but now on the right dose of methadone I sleep great. The only thing is sometimes I wake up with my arms and or legs numb, and that worries me. I'm thinking it's because I'm in such a deep sleep and my heart slows down a lot more then it should and with a slow weak heart beat I'm not getting the blood needed in my arms and legs.. Maybe I'm crazy lol but it's something to think about because I e had 8 friends die in there sleep from methadone, there heart slowed down so much that it just stopped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hart_se

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I too sleep like a "weirdo" on my methadone. I will throw my hand up and hold it as if trying to ask a question in class. Other times I will lean on one side and do leg lifts and hold them for very long periods of time. Someone can put my hand down or my legs down but they will go right back to the rigid position that it was in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?   

Back to top Go down

Why do I sleep like a weirdo on methadone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1