Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lenght of time in MMT

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mmtforme

Male
Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the outdoors
Humor : Caddy Shack
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Lenght of time in MMT Empty
PostSubject: Lenght of time in MMT   Lenght of time in MMT EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi, I just wanted to share my feelings on the topic of length of time in MMT. Today I believe that MMT has saved my life. Being on methadone as allowed me to put my life together and find myself and more, like serenity. Methadone has done such a great job at taking away the cravings and so much more. The bottom line is this: MMT has saved my life and I am unwilling to take chances with my life any longer. If staying on MMT for the rest of my life is the best thing for me then I am all for it. If I go back to using, I am dead. I am just curious about how other people feel about this for themselves. This is a personal decission and I respect that. Like I said, I am just curious. I have known so many people that were thinking about when to get off methadone even when they were just starting. I have seen many people go off methadone for the wrong reasons or just too soon, only to relapse, and in some cases die.
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Lenght of time in MMT   Lenght of time in MMT EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm

AMEN! lol. I feel pretty much as you do. I never intended to stay on MMT as long as I have, but I know what my life was without it and I know what my life is like with it.

My husband feels as I do, and he is my main support person. He will stand by me no matter what I chose. My mother and one of my best friends are all the time asking me "isn't it about time for you to get off methadone?" or "how much longer do you plan to stay on it" but neither one of them know what it is like AND they were never right there in the midst of my addiction like my husband was so they really have NO CLUE some of the horrible things I did and some of the things my husband and I went through with my addiction. Therfore I don't let what they say bother me in the least and I WILL NOT let them affect my decision to stay on MMT or to get off. Again, my husband is my main support person and as long as he supports my decision, that is the only opinion I care about.

I do hope to some day get off MMT, but I also know there is a big possibility of being on it the rest of my life. I NEVER want to go back to life like it was and if it means MMT or living that like again and putting my husband and kids through those horrible times again (as well as myself),MMT is the choice I will make.

RuthAnn

PS: I know I have said this fifty million times but I will say it again........IMO I think if we ever have a hope of getting off MMT and staying sober, we do have to integrate some type of counseling, 12 step type or NA type recovery program in addition to MMT. MMT treats only the physical part of our addiction and if we only utilize MMT and then detox off, the chances of staying sober are basically zero. We still have the emotional side of our addiction alive and well!

It is after we work through the emotional side of our addiction that we truely ever have a chance of getting off MMT and staying sober. I am not saying that if you work the emotional side that you should automatically get off MMT, again, there are some ppl who will be on it the rest of their lives even after working out emotional addiction issues, but if we ever have a hope of getting off and stay clean, you must work on both aspects of our addiction.
Back to top Go down
floydfx05

floydfx05

Female
Number of posts : 71
Humor : PEACE
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Lenght of time in MMT   Lenght of time in MMT EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:04 pm

I to feel like you, people are always asking, when are getting off methadone or are you still on methadone.
Im really getting tired of it, I tell people now that YES I am and I will be most likely until I take my last breath, because I have no intentions
of getting off anytime soon or ever. My life is so good now the way I feel and in everything I do, Why would I f k up a good thing.
God Bless you
Back to top Go down
Happylady5

Happylady5

Female
Number of posts : 93
Humor : It's a great day to be alive!
Registration date : 2010-06-06

PostSubject: RE: Length of time in MMT   Lenght of time in MMT EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 am

My boyfriend is on the methadone program. His dad wants him to get off of methadone. My boyfriend isn't ready to stop. I tell him that it has to be your choice to quit, not your dad trying to make you quit. Everyone needs to quit on their own time, not someone else's. If your not ready to quit and you do, most likely you will relapse.
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Lenght of time in MMT   Lenght of time in MMT EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:38 pm

You are absolutely right happylady. Your boyfriends recovery is his own to work. No one can work it for him and no one can know when it is time for him to stop taking his medication.
I can't tell you what a blessing it has been for me to be able to take a medication to help me manage my addiction. I had stopped many times before, and one time I remember I stopped for 2 years. But to be honest the cravings kept me on a constant want/don't want whirl of emotions.
And eventually I started using again. It has only been since starting medication that I have been able to stay in recovery as long as I have.
I'm not saying that the medication is the sole reason either. I give a lot of credit to the constant education, counseling, and peer support that I have received. Not all of my family members are as supportive as others, but I let them have their own opinions. I live in different state than most of my family so I really don't have it as hard as a lot of people.
Maybe in time your boyfriends father will see how this medication has helped his son, how it saved him from an otherwise deadly alternative.
Enjoy your day,
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lenght of time in MMT   Lenght of time in MMT Empty

Back to top Go down

Lenght of time in MMT
Page 1 of 1