Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 pm

I would like to hear opinions on what you guys think of this situation. While we know most for profit clinics are there "to make a profit", we also know that there is a BIG difference in methadone maintenance and methadone detox. At my clinic, when you are ready to start detoxing off methadone, they start you on a medically supervised detox program. If these ppl wanted off methadone so bad, why didn't they just say they were ready to detox?

It sounds to me like another person taking advantage of the judicial system to make a little money by suing someone else.

MONTGOMERY, AL – Beasley Allen has filed a class action lawsuit in Circuit Court of Montgomery, Alabama, on behalf of a local woman, individually and as a class representative against Defendants Colonial Management Group, L.P.; Colonial GP, L.P.; and Montgomery Liquidating Professional Corporation d/b/a Montgomery Metro Treatment Center; and Gilberto Sanchez, M.D.

The lawsuit alleges the Defendants operated "Methadone Clinics" that promised to treat addictions to heroin and prescription drugs such as oxycontin and opium-based drugs by providing detoxification and counseling services, but instead charged patients weekly cash fees for methadone with no treatment to end addiction.

The class may include all individuals in the State of Alabama who have paid for treatment at the six Methadone clinics owned, operated and/or managed by the Defendants in the State of Alabama: Birmingham Metro Treatment Center, Huntsville Metro Treatment Center, Mobile Metro Treatment Center, Montgomery Metro Treatment Center, Tri County Treatment Center and Sumter County Treatment Center.

The lawsuit, filed by Beasley Allen founding shareholder Jere L. Beasley and lawyers J. P. Sawyer and Archie Grubb, II, charges negligence/ wantonness and fraud. As a direct result of intentional misrepresentation of services and treatment, the suit alleges, the Plaintiff has been caused to suffer physical injuries, mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of earnings and economic business losses.

"These companies told our client and others that they would help them overcome their drug addictions when, in fact, all they have done is gotten them hooked on methadone," said Beasley. "It is nothing more than legalized drug dealing. They should be ashamed of what they have done to a tremendous number of people who trusted.

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=12503388

RuthAnn
aka lilgirllost

We are not bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well.

Methadone; A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you cannot afford to call us, send us an email and
we will call you at our expense.
Office: 1-770-334-3655~ Cell: 1-770-527-9119
Email: mrdeanv@aol.com
ALL INFORMATION IS KEPT STRICKLY CONFIDENTIAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 pm

RuthAnn
When I read this article I had to respond. I have said over and over again that Methadone saved my life. I have talked many times about the kindness and the caring treatment I received at the clinic I attended until I moved back up to Vermont.

This clinic that is mentioned in this article; Montgomery Metro Treatment Center. Was my clinic.
Reading this infuriates me.
I attended the clinic for four years and in that four years, I did see a few people detox off of Methadone.
As far as I could see, there was no fraud. Anyone that desired to detox off of Methadone was detoxed at a rate that was comfortable to them. When I decided to reduce my dose down from 70mg I did so because I didn't think I needed it to be that high. I was taken down slowly, I was asked how I felt. And if I was ready to come down a little more then I did. If not, I waited.
The director of the clinic went out of his way for me many times. When my son was hospitalized at the Children's Hospital for 6 weeks I was not on take homes, but so that I could be with my son, he arranged for me to have those take homes.
Also I remember having the flu one time and I had to miss a day, the next day my sister was ill and could not drive me to the clinic, I called my counselor who talked to the director who then called me and had me take a cab at his expense.
They didn't have to do any of this but they did because they cared.

And your right, if this person really wanted to get off of Methadone, they could have chose to medically detox.
It makes me sick to see this going on. With all of the bad clinics out there, this is not one of them.
Of course this is only my opinion and experience.
I hope that patients will speak up on behalf of this clinic. I know I will.
Thanks for posting this RuthAnn,
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin"

Never take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
lilgirllost
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:05 pm

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=12503388

MONTGOMERY, AL – Beasley Allen has filed a class action lawsuit in Circuit Court of Montgomery, Alabama, on behalf of a local woman, individually and as a class representative against Defendants Colonial Management Group, L.P.; Colonial GP, L.P.; and Montgomery Liquidating Professional Corporation d/b/a Montgomery Metro Treatment Center; and Gilberto Sanchez, M.D.

The lawsuit alleges the Defendants operated "Methadone Clinics" that promised to treat addictions to heroin and prescription drugs such as oxycontin and opium-based drugs by providing detoxification and counseling services, but instead charged patients weekly cash fees for methadone with no treatment to end addiction.

The class may include all individuals in the State of Alabama who have paid for treatment at the six Methadone clinics owned, operated and/or managed by the Defendants in the State of Alabama: Birmingham Metro Treatment Center, Huntsville Metro Treatment Center, Mobile Metro Treatment Center, Montgomery Metro Treatment Center, Tri County Treatment Center and Sumter County Treatment Center.

The lawsuit, filed by Beasley Allen founding shareholder Jere L. Beasley and lawyers J. P. Sawyer and Archie Grubb, II, charges negligence/ wantonness and fraud. As a direct result of intentional misrepresentation of services and treatment, the suit alleges, the Plaintiff has been caused to suffer physical injuries, mental anguish, emotional distress, loss of earnings and economic business losses.

"These companies told our client and others that they would help them overcome their drug addictions when, in fact, all they have done is gotten them hooked on methadone," said Beasley. "It is nothing more than legalized drug dealing. They should be ashamed of what they have done to a tremendous number of people who trusted and depended on them."

Not sure how I personally feel about this because right now all I see is that if they do win, it will cause more problems for those of us who understand the reasoning behind and/or particiate in METHADONE MAINTENANCE. I could see this if the complainant wanted to detox and they didn't want to help her or encourage her to at the clinic but to lump all of us in the category might not be such a good thing.

RuthAnn
aka lilgirllost

We are not bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well.

Methadone; A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you cannot afford to call us, send us an email and
we will call you at our expense.
Office: 1-770-334-3655~ Cell: 1-770-527-9119
Email: mrdeanv@aol.com
ALL INFORMATION IS KEPT STRICKLY CONFIDENTIAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Happylady5

Female
Number of posts : 93
Humor : It's a great day to be alive!
Registration date : 2010-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:09 am

This person is completely taking advantage of the system. This person should have done their research and found out that methadone maintenance can take years to get ready to come off of. It makes me wonder what this person was abusing before they started methadone. This is why the clinics should be more picky about the admission process. This person probably ate like 10mgs of lortab and then went on methadone, expecting to get off it easily. That is trading a baby monkey for a big gorilla. I am not even going to name off all of the reasons why I think MMT is NOT glorified drug dealing. Methadone Maintenance hAS SAVED MY LIFE and many others who had nowhere else to turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JJnBham

PostSubject: Re: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 pm

I have been a patient at BMTC for the last 2 1/2 years. The day I began MMT was the fist step to changing my life. It's bad enough that MMT clinics have to worry about people protesting a clinic being put in their neighborhood, all they see are the drug addicts, they don't see people trying to better their lives, and now the clinics have to worry about ignorant, selfish, money hungry patients suing them. This is absolutely absurd. I can't say what goes on at any other clinic, but, I do know that at Birmingham Metro Treatment Center I was informed (the day I did intake, my very first day) that I had the option, at any time, to begin medically supervised detox. And not only is counseling offered it's required in order to recieve your "phase up", and to get your take homes. And anyone that has done any kind or research about drug detox should know that you CAN NOT detox in just a couple of days and without any discomfort. Methadone treatment has saved my life. I hate to think where I would be today had I not made the decision to begin MMT. I truly hope that this lawsuit is dead before it can begin. I do not understand how this suit can have any merit. It is disturbing what money can make people do. BMTC and their "sister"clinics have all of my support.
Back to top Go down
D
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Thank you for your input. I haven't heard anything else about the suit since it was filed. If anyone knows anything please post. I would be interested as to its outcome.
Best wishes to all

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin"

Never take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers   

Back to top Go down

Lawsuit filed again fraudulent drug treatment centers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1