Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

child custody

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
michelle197236

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-05

child custody Empty
PostSubject: child custody   child custody EmptyTue May 05, 2009 8:21 am

I had a beautiful baby girl a year and 4 months ago,the social services got involved when I delivered her,after getting home from the hospital they put her into my moms custody, I don't know what to do,i have two other children and they remain in my custody so if i am unfit because of methadone why just take her,i was on methadone 10 years when i found out i was pregnant,the doctor advised me to stay in treatment,i am so upset i want my baby back,does anyone know anything i can do,i cant afford to pay big fees to a lawyer and around here they would help much anyways,any ideas please,i am desperate.thank you.
Back to top Go down
pangyalwilliams

pangyalwilliams

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-04-28

child custody Empty
PostSubject: Child Custody   child custody EmptyTue May 05, 2009 8:56 am

Hi Michelle,

It is so nice to meet you. I know you are really stressed right now so just take a deep breath. Okay, now I myself have not been through what you have been through but I know a lot of people at my clinic who have. I have heard so many different things happening with babies born to moms who are on methadone and to be honest, it depends on the laws of your state which I will try and research and see what Tennessee's laws are. It also depends on the hospital where you gave birth to your daughter and if your O.B. was aware of you being on Methadone. It is NEVER a good idea to get off of Methadone when you are pregnant. Again, depending on the particular doctor, some will even raise your dose of Methadone because as your baby grows, it takes methadone away from you which will cause you to go into withdrawal. Other doctors choose to lower your dose while you are pregnant to protect the baby and than bring your dose back up after giving birth. I am so sorry that I can't give you the definite answers that you want and I can see how much you are hurting right now but I promise you that I will look into the law and talk to Deborah because she knows so much more about the law. Have you talked to Children Services about it? Have they told you what you need to do to get your baby back? I agree with you in that if they think you are unfit to have your baby with you than why are they leaving the other kids with you? It is not right what they are doing and we will do our best to find some answers for you. In the meantime, you should have some sort of Legal Aid offices where you live. They can give you legal advice and in a lot of cases, they will go to court for you and help you get your daughter back and you will not have to pay anything or they will base their charges on your income. I am going to go now and do some research. Please hang in there and don't stop your treatment. That would be the worst thing for you or any of your kids. Can I ask if you are on the methadone for pain or for drug abuse treatment? Also, please go to medicalassistedrecovery.org and look around. There is a lot on the site about laws governing methadone use. Some of the info might be helpful to you.

I will write more soon.

Yours in Recovery

Pam

Last edited by pangyalwilliams on Tue May 05, 2009 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pangyalwilliams

pangyalwilliams

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-04-28

child custody Empty
PostSubject: Child Custody   child custody EmptyTue May 05, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Again Michelle,

I talked to Dean who is another one of our moderators and he gave me some info that might be helpful to you. Go to medicalassistedtreatment.org and click on the button that says Internet Resources....about halfway down the page on the left. In that section there is a site to click on for women that are pregnant and custody issues. Please go there and see if that helps you. I will keep looking for other resources for you.

Yours In Recovery

Pam
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

child custody Empty
PostSubject: Re: child custody   child custody EmptyWed May 06, 2009 12:33 am

Hi Michelle,
I hope you don't mind me butting in on your post. I went to the website. www.medicalassistedtreatment.org and look for the resource that Pam told you about.
It did take awhile but I found a link for you to look at.
It is the National Advocates For Pregnant Women. I don't know if they will be bale to help you, but it is worth a try.
http://www.advocatesforpregnantwomen.org/
Did your Obstetrician know that you were taking Methadone? I know it is hard to deal with. I have never gone through what you are going through but I do know that I would be heartbroken.
You said that the baby was put into your moms custody, is it permanent custody or is there something that you have to do before you can get the baby back home with you where it belongs? Do you get to at at least see the baby. I know it's not the same as having the baby home with you. I am sorry for all of the questions, if I ask to much let me know and I will quit. I am just trying to understand how they can do this to you.
Michelle, anytime that you need to talk we are here for you. I know that it is not fair. I'm sure that your are a wonderful mother. Were you taking Methadone when you were pregnant with your other children as well?
I will keep you in my prayers. Remember, if you need us we are here for you. If you need to speak to someone we are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
And if you cannot afford to call us, send us an email and we will call you at our expense.
Yours In recovery,
Dee
Medical assisted Treatment Of America
Phone: 770-428.0871 (office )
770.527.9119 (Cell)
MATDirector@aol.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

child custody Empty
PostSubject: Re: child custody   child custody Empty

Back to top Go down

child custody
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark :: Open Discussions :: Open Discussions-
Jump to: