Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

MAINE LAW MAKES IT ILLEGAL FOR PERSON ON METHADONE TO DRIVE COMMERCIAL VEHICLES

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: MAINE LAW MAKES IT ILLEGAL FOR PERSON ON METHADONE TO DRIVE COMMERCIAL VEHICLES   Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 pm

The comments in this article in no way reflect the beliefs of Medical Assisted Treatment of America INC or myself, Ruth Ann Alston as an individual. I am posting the article as it was originally written by the SUN JOURNAL.

LAW IN MAINE MAKES IT ILLEGAL FOR PERSON TAKING METHADONE TO DRIVE COMMERICAL VEHICLES.

On Friday, Lisa Ronan and her family got a little closer to justice when Gov. Paul LePage signed a bill making it a crime to drive a large commercial vehicle while on methadone.

Ronan, who lives in Gray, was widowed in 2009 when her 44-year-old husband, Shannon Ronan, was killed just before Christmas.

A UPS driver, Ronan had stopped his vehicle on Route 302 in Naples, waiting to make a left turn, when he was hit from behind by a driver operating a bucket-type utility truck. The impact forced Ronan’s delivery truck into oncoming traffic. He was killed when he was struck head-on by a tractor-trailer carrying bulk propane.

The driver who hit Ronan from behind was using methadone; he was never charged in connection with the accident.

After her husband died, Lisa Ronan learned Maine law does not prohibit methadone users from driving commercial trucks intrastate, which is contrary to federal law.
She set out to fix that.

Cheers to her.

And, now, thanks to her, Mainers have some assurance in knowing that drivers behind the wheel of heavy-duty commercial vehicles are not using pain-relieving synthetic narcotics.

The penalty under the new law is mild, with a conviction punishable by up to $1,000 in fines and/or six months in a county jail. But, it’s something.

If it means no other family has to endure what the Ronan family has, then it’s everything.

This comes from the SUN JOURNAL and the original link is
http://www.sunjournal.com/our-view/story/1057646

Here is another report on the subject and it comes from WABI news
http://www.wabi.tv/news/21699/new-law-bans-methadone-driving-commercial-vehicles

Augusta - A bill that bans methadone users from driving commercial vehicles was signed into law by the governor Friday.

Methadone is commonly used to treat drug addicts.

Two years ago a UPS delivery driver from Naples was killed after his van was hit by a public works truck driven by a man who had taken methadone.

Representative Anne Graham sponsored the bill after meeting the widow of the man killed in that crash. "It did surprise me. When reviewing the law that methadone was not in the law, Maine state law,: Graham said on Friday. "It is in federal law. So this bill simply adhered to federal law."

Graham says she doesn't want to send a message that people should be discouraged from seeking treatment for addiction. But she says anyone taking medication that can impair their ability to drive shouldn't be driving a 10,000 pound plus vehicle.

RuthAnn
aka lilgirllost

We are not bad people trying to become good, we are sick people trying to become well.

Methadone; A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you cannot afford to call us, send us an email and
we will call you at our expense.
Office: 1-770-334-3655~ Cell: 1-770-527-9119
Email: mrdeanv@aol.com
ALL INFORMATION IS KEPT STRICKLY CONFIDENTIAL
Back to top Go down
View user profile

MAINE LAW MAKES IT ILLEGAL FOR PERSON ON METHADONE TO DRIVE COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1