Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?

Go down 
+16
Digmon
JigSaw
Happylady5
UniquelyMe
floydfx05
methadonia/or/bust
keemo7
mmtforme
D
knitNpurl
lgates1204
Rose Mactier
4meandu
lilgirllost
pamc
Admin
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-03-05

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Empty
PostSubject: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 pm

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? 10410 Welcome! June 10, 2009 I just want to welcome all the newcomers to our group. I have been really busy applying for Grants and I am so sorry I haven't had much time to be here to find out what is happening...

Last week our methadone website server had a virus and none of the forums were even visible and I couldn't even work on it. I will be updating "The Director's View" soon and I do apologize for how long our website was out of order.
My parents were here all last week and I truly enjoyed their visit and I did take off for them because I only get to see them once a year therefore, I try to give them my undivided attention. This year was really unique because they got together with some of my friends and gave me a surprise "Birthday Party." I did expect something but nothing like I received and they had even rented a room at Ryan's Steak House. It was a really a blessed night for me... but I am really delighted to see we have some new members.
I have received many e-mails lately from members complaining they are not being able to obtain a dose increase. It is happening at a lot of the clinics in many if not all of our states. I would say on the average I receive about five complaints each week about dose increases and would like to hear from all of you if you are satisfied with your dose? How about sharing with all of us whether your clinic is cap dosing?
I would like to know how many of you would are on a dose over 100mg? I am not asking for you to reveal anything personal about yourself but your dose and if you wouldn't mind sharing with us if you are satisfied with it and what state you are in. How about it because I really need this information because I am working on your behalf to help improve conditions for you.
How about sharing with us what is happening in your Narcotic Treatment Program? It is what they are legally being called now instead of opiate treatment program. I shared with all of you about the 40mg diskettes and I truly hope you took the time to mention it to your clinic and the patients you know because it is very serious.. I know I am not the only one who receives 40mg diskettes for takehome doses. There is a law they are trying to pass to stop all 40mg diskette takehomes. You can read all about it in the announcements at the top of the forum.
How do you feel about the NTPs requring you to have an ECG (an electrocardiogram for your heart)? Do any of you feel like methadone is affecting your breathing or your heart? I will be supplying you with more information on this subject because I want all my members to be educated on the subject but if they make them mandatory it will probably be us who will be paying for them and they aren't cheap.
I can understand them being cautious if you have previous heart problems and I do believe you should have one before taking any narcotic but if you don't have any history of heart problems then it should be up to you. I believe they should warn you they believe it may cause cardiac problems and advise you to have an ECG but if you choose not to then you should be able to sign a waiver saying you have been advised and choose to decline. I want all of you to take these issues serious because I believe if we don't fight it in 2010 it will be mandatory.
Let me hear if any of you have heard any other news I may have missed and please share all the information with other patients and with us how you feel about it. I just wanted to let all of you know I am back and this time it should be for good and I am available and I have promised a call to many of you and be expecting them.
I finally found the best MMT Program possible and they are like a family to me. I love it there and after the other one phased me down to every day from monthly - I finally am on weekly takehomes. Thanks to the wonderful Director, the Doctor and my counselor and our clinic does not test for marijuana as some of them. I receive constant complaints concerning marijuana and I thought all clinics tested for the medication but I found out it really was up to the clinic totally and I do agree with the owner. Many patients have been discharged because they tested positive for marijuana but if your clinic tests for it then you must abide by their rules.
I do understand totally what it is like to be in a really bad program...if all of you only knew what I went through and if it had not been for Dee and Barbara and a few others who kept me encouraged and afloat during the time I am not sure I would have made it through all of it. It is then you find out who your friends really are and I can say they are two wonderful people along with another person who is a member of this forum and we call her "cat". She attends the same MMT Program I do and she was at the awful clinic that abused both of us but she had left before I started there and we didn't even know one another.
Fate can into play and brought us together at a time when we both needed one another and I thank God for her. She found my website and actually located the MMT Program she transferred to on my website and discovered I was going to the awful one she just left...we kept missing one another's phone calls and she did a really bad write up on the one I was attending which she and her friend had left and as some of you know ...her write up on "Rate Your Program" got me in serious trouble and almost discharged from the one I was attending. She had done only what I ask all of you to do and it is about all we can do to get the word out is to report your program on my website and you don't even have to leave your name.
She had done this and I knew every word she wrote was the truth because I was going there and there were others who posted about the awful program.
We finally made Contact and she told me she had found the one she was at on my website and they knew all about the program I was attending and how wonderful the one she was at was and therefore, I did call them and they did accept me. We all need help and to share with one another and it can lead us to the right programs and friends we may not have met otherwise. It is what my website is all about and I'm asking all of you to help make it a reality for all of us.
I love all of you.
Back to top Go down
pamc

pamc

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: stuck at 100 mgs   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi. I just wanted to share that my clinic HTC Huntington WV. tries to keep their average at 80 mg for every patient no matter what your history of drug use is nor how stable you were at the other clinic. I guess I should be so lucky that they let me go up to 100 before they stopped me, but at my previous clinic, MMTC Mobile, Alabama, I was on 240 mgs and that was only 5 months before I did Intake at Huntington. In between the programs I maintained myself on the street with 100 mg Fentanyl patches, wearing 2 at once and 1/2 of one in my mouth at all times. Thats another problem with this clinic, they say they tested me for Fentanyl when they sent my intake UA to the lab, but I KNOW THEY DID NOT!! Did y'all know that there is a special test that has to be ordered and paid for to detect Fentanyl? I found out because they tried to tell me I was not dirty for Opiates when I intaked, and I had a patch in my mouth when I gave them the UA sample that day.
My counselor at the time either didn't know or just wouldn't admit that they are to greedy to spend the extra to test me for it even though it was my drug of choice. I argued about it with her to no avail so I finally decided that they did not care if I continued to use Fentanyl as long as they got my money. I got a new counselor but the policy on dose ceiling is bigger than just the counselor. It's almost unheard of to be on anything from 100 to 120. It's really hard not to do Fentanyl, I'm just lucky that I already had 2 years of good treatment in Mobile before this, so I don't have these kind of connections any more.
Lots of Love, I love this sight so much. Thanks to every one and hang in there thats what I am doing "one day at a time". Pamc

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned)
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 am

You know my story about dose increases and I am STILL fighting with them about it. IT IS A JOKE! I go to a clinic in Conroe Texas (Conroe Recovery Center) and the same person owns the one in HUNTSVILLE, TEXAS (Hunstville Clinic Inc) so it uses the same doc with the same warped out of date views. They will not go over 120mg. She told me herself the doc rarely goes over 120mg and then only if someone has severe liver probs or hepatitis!

I have been at 120mg for over 5 yrs now and desperately need an increase. They made me do a peak and trough, I have no prob with that because I KNEW it would show my levels were too low because I was having actual withdrawl symptoms along with other signs that my dose was too low. I would dream about drugs again and crave like crazy, I couldn't sleep and my legs felt jumpy and hurt. I was having goosflesh and nausea as well so it wan't just a "mental" craving.

My peak and trough showed trough of 263ng/ml and peak 508 ng/ml and I was not only DENIED and increase, I was told those levels show I am over medicated and they wanted to decrease me! I tried to show them the research I had gotten about P & T levels and they still refused an increase. I told them I was going to file a complailnt because he (the doc) couldn't be the last word on this and she told me I could go ahead but the State won't get involved when it comes to money and dose increases because they won't go against a doctors decision on dosing.

She also told me I needed to get on antidepressants, which I admit would prob do me some good, but that is not all of my problem. She told me to get the antidepressants, and keep a diary for a month on my symptoms and to let her look over the stuff I printed off the net for her about P & T levels and stuff and that she would talk to the doc about it. WELL.......that was over a month ago and I still have not gotten an increase OR gotten to speak with her about any of it.

She is never there when I am there to talk to about this and the bad thing about it all, I have hardly no documentation in my chart about my needing an increase and/or my complaining of w/d symptoms all these months because even though I would tell them and they acknowledged that yeah, I was having withdrawl symptoms, no one ever wrote anything down in my chart! Even my request for an increase was never "on paper" because it was time for my physical and they told me to just talk to the doc about it so I have NOTHING to back me up if I DO file a complaint.

The med nurse told me I am not the only one at this clinic who is having this prob (their interpretation of the peak and trough and getting increases) but of course she can't tell me who they are so I can't speak with them about "banding together" and filing a complaint.

My husband has to hide my key because I have been having problems "controlling" myself now with my meds. I get 27 take outs so I end up taking extras to try and have a day where i can feel like a normal person, but then that leaves me short for other days. I should NOT have to live like this.

I know if I file a complaint, they can do whatever they want to me and I already drive 3 hrs round trip as it is. I am so sick of feeling sick. I remember what it was like when I was on a stable dose and I long for those days again. Now I feel like a freaking addict again because of the unstability with me take homes and my husband having to hide my key so I won't have to do without for too many days because I have taken extras.

IT IS AWFUL and it is NOT fair. I don't know what to do about it now. I want to file a complaint, but I am afraid of what they will do to me but I am at my wits end.

I am going to go in to my next appt (the 14th of Aug) and if I don't get some adequate answers, I will be filing my complaint.

You can use my real name and you can use my story for any reports you need to send. I am tired of this and will do whatever I can to keep others from having to go through this anymore!

RuthAnn Alston, Moderator

Last edited by lilgirllost on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
4meandu

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 pm

I don't know which clinic in Mobile, Alabama Pamc was at, which is where I live, but the one I go to will NOT dose above 100mg. (that is what my counselor has told me anyways) except in rae cases and only if he/she has been a patient their for many years. I am glad I didn't need to. I am very comfortable at 90mg. I just figure if I ever need to go above 100 I will try to cross that bridge when I get to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: dose over 100   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:36 am

Hi!
I am currently on a dose of 180 mg. I think I need to go up because I am still having withdrawals and pain from my Endometriosis, especially around that special time of the month! Thank the Lord for my doctor, He is a blessing and so is my Opiate Treatment Program.
Cat

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Aligned)
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids

PostSubject: what clinic do you go to prittykit?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 am

I am sure you have told us before, but what Opiate Treatment Program and in what state do you go to? BE SO THANKFUL! So many of us have horror stories!

You said you feel like you need to go up from your 180mg, do you plan to ask for an increase? How easy do you think it will be to get it? Did you have problems with them getting to the dose you are on now? Like at 120mg did they start giving you trouble or have they been ok with increases all the way?

Thanks for sharing!
Ruthann

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 4:26 am

Hi Ruthann,
The clinic I go to is GPA Treatment in Doraville, GA. I love my clinic! I did see the doctor on Friday and he knows about my pain w/ Endometriosis and that I feel like I am withdrawing so he put in an a 10mg increase for me,so I will be on 190mgs. I have not had any problems getting an increase. Italk to my doctor about how I feel and what issues or problems I am having and he listens and then decides how best to help me. How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Icon_biggrin
The "staff" at GPA are a Godsend! They actually believe in helping us recovering addicts. I am very thankful for this clinic and the staff that makes it so special! I know your clinic has a "cap" of 120 mg, have you ever thought about switching clinics? There should not be any dosing caps at any clinics because different people need different doses. That's why I love GPA, we are individuals to them! I do have horror stories from the first clinic I was at - lots. Thats when I found GPA (on Medical Assisted Treatment of America) and transfered. It was the best decision I could've ever made.
Cat

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned,Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Dose Increases   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Smile_10
Thank all of you for answering but I really need all of you to talk to the others for I need many more reports than we are receiving to turn into the ones in charge. I want to take the time to thank all of you who did take the time to reply and you can thank all of the ones who didn't reply for there not being any change in getting our doses increased.
I don't know what it is going to take to wake some of you up to what is happening. I do have some more personal e-mails sent to me from people who are having problems getting an increase but I ask a question because it is happening to many of us and I want to see change happen but if you don't help me out by posting and naming you Opiate Treatment Program then I can't help you. How many people posted? Maybe three? I suppose the remainder of you must be completely satisfied with everything occurring where you attend. I am hoping so because you are members and why join if you aren't going to help us and contribute to the forum?
In West Virginia, I do know most all of the Opiate Treatment Programs are owned by CRC Healthcare and they are notorious for low doses and be very careful because I attended one in Georgia and it was great until CRC Healthcare took over and I had been there for over five years and was on monthly take-homes but the Doctor didn't like me because I had gone over his head to obtain an increase but He wasn't able to do anything and He had no choice but to increase my dose because He was ordered to by the Methadone State Authority but once CRC took control and they hired a new Program Director -everything changed and the Doctor was able to pull out of my chart all the call backs and He accussed me of diverting my methadone and reduced me from monthly to coming every day to dose and decreased my 280 mg to 140mg and then told me I could no longer take my Xanax and I had a Doctor's excuse to take it and had been on it for five years and you just don't stop taking it abruptly, but they didn't care at all.
I had to transfer quickly to another Opiate Treatment Program and if I had not known the Medical Director and Owner there I don't know what would have happened to me but still I had to drive two hours there and back but I was able to remain on my 280mg dose and they just phased me down to every two weeks (not that I had done anything wrong but they had the write up and had no proof I had showed up for any of my call backs for the last three years) and you know as well as I do, if I had not showed up when they called me to come in and allowed them to check my bottles, I would not have been on monthly take-homes. We did point all of this out to the Doctor at the new Opiate Treatment Program I was transferring to but He had no proof but my word and of course the Owner was taking up for me because she knew about all which had occurred there. I am telling you be careful in West Virginia if it is CRC -Owned. Yes, they are too cheap to run an extra test to check for fentanyl but you are right it requires a special test.
I do want to let all of you know they are a few good counselors left because when all of this happened to me, my counselor had taken some leave time and she returned and found out I had transferred and found out what all had transpired. She knew I had came in for all of my call-backs and she knew they kept a duplicate copy at the Nurses Station. She went in there and pulled all of the copies for me and faxed them to me so I could prove they had no reason to phase me down or decrease my dose. I did file a report with the Methadone State Authority but CRC Healthcare is a million dollar corporation and they fired the counselor for standing up for me because they asked her to lie and she wouldn't but still they got out of what they did to me because no action was taken against them...To pull paperwork out of one's file should have been a serious offense and we had the proof of what they had done so I know they had to buy their way out or else no one cared at all. It is just not right and we should not be treated like such. I just can't understand why all of you won't speak out when I ask for your help because I can't do it all alone unless you like being treated the way you are.
I do understand if you don't want to speak out where you attend because they will retaliate against you but when I ask and you don''t have to give me your name - but just the name of your OTP and the city and state, then I don't understand. It is happening in many states and in Georgia and they shouldn't be getting away with it. You should be able to transfer on the dose you are on. I don't think many of you understand there are three organizations fighting to stop you from using methadone and if they can't stop it then they want you to come every day to dose. Do you not understand?
Cat, thank you for sharing with RuthAnn and yes, I am in a wonderful Opiate Treatment Program now. I attend the same one Cat does and it is GPA, Inc. in Doraville, Georgia and we do have a wonderful Doctor and He has increased my dose up to 310 mg and I know I am going to need more. I can tell you Cat and I both have attended some really bad ones but Dr. Tacoronti at GPA is the most educated Doctor I have met in the sixteen years I have been on methadone as for as methadone goes. He really cares about each of his patients and we are blessed enough to have Him as our Primary Care Physician, too.
I am praying for you today RuthAnn and I am hoping you do get your increase and if not we are going to try and obtain it for you. You have spoken out against what they are doing and I will help you until we do get it for you. I want to thank Cat to for being outspoken and we are trying to stand up for all of you but we need your help. Tell us about your dose and if you are content?
Thanks to all of you who answered.
Deborah Shrira,CEO

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Rose Mactier

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Methadone Dose   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi Deborah-
How are you today? I introduced myself in an earlier post, but I will do so again. My name is Rose and I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. My methadone dose is 180mg and has been for many years. I currently go to a clinic called Nevada Treatment Center. I switched to them because they offer sliding scale fees. I also went to a clinic called Center for Behavioral Health in Las Vegas. I have also gone to clinics in Nebraska, Colorado, and California. The clinics I attended have never given me trouble regarding dose amounts. I thought "dose capping" was illegal. I am sorry to hear that others are having so much trouble getting adequate treatment.
Rose
Back to top Go down
lgates1204

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : oil field
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Dose increase   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 7:10 pm

The clinic I go to will let you increase when you want. Once you reach 115 mg, they require a Peak and Trough, every 15mg and the sky's the limit. The only downside is that every time you do the Peak and Trough, you pay 75 dollars. I know people on 250 mg as long as you have the money they don't care. They start everyone on 30 no matter how bad and increase 10 mg a day until 60 mg, then 5 mg every 3 days until 80mg, then 5 mg a week until you reach 100 mg and if you need to go higher then you see the doctor.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned and spelling)
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:52 pm

thanks for sharing your experience with your clinic. You go to a clinic in Oklahoma, is that right?

How far do you have to drive to your clinic? Is it a for profit clinic or a non profit?
Back to top Go down
lgates1204

Male

PostSubject: Righway Medical in Roland Oklahoma   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 am

The clinic that I go to is in Oklahoma and I am very lucky. It is only 5 miles and it is called RightWay Medical and it is in a small town called Roland in Oklahoma, right on the border of Arkansas. It is a for profit clinic. Right now I am on weekly take-homes.
I have been thinking about suboxone but I heard it would be hard to switch. I did talk to a doctor and he will only give me 8mg no matter what my methadone level is and I will have to stop taking methadone for days before he will give it to me and that really scares me. I think I will just stay where I am for now.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned and bold print for name of Opiate Treatment Program.)
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 3:36 am

yeah you would have to be off the methadone and in withdrawls before you can start the suboxone, if you aren't and you take it, it will put you in even worse withdrawals.

I have never tried it myself, but we do have info about suboxone on the MAT of America website and there is a forum just for suboxone users if you are interested you can check those out. The forum moderator is Dee and she checks in from time to time here as well, but she is on suboxone and had been on methadone before so if you had any questions, she would be great to talk to. the suboxone forum link is www.suboxoneassistedtreatment.org and the link for MAT of America where you can get info on suboxone is http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org/609138.html Do not hesitate to ask Dee or any of the other members of the suboxone forum a question. They will get right back to you.

If you don't mind me asking, what dose of methadone are you on now and how long have you been in treatment?

take care and have a great weekend!
Back to top Go down
lgates1204

Male

PostSubject: My dose   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 12:54 pm

I am on 115mg which I just got moved up to I have been in treatment for ten months and was on 100 for 8 months I am still not where I need to be though it seems to wear off at about 6 or 7 pm at night.
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Dose Wears Off Around Six -Seven PM   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 4:18 pm

As you can tell from my other posts, I have the SAME problem. It starts wearing off around 6 or 7 and by the time I get up in the morning I am in withdrawals. I won't go into the details here because it is a loooong story and I wrote about it in other posts, but I am having trouble getting a dose increase EVEN THOUGH I am having problems. I am on 120mg and have been for over 5 yrs and my clinic (my old clinic, I just transferred and will see the doc for the 1st time on Wed) had me do a peak and trough (I had no prob with that) but when the results came back, they said I was OVER medicated and not only denied an increase, but they wanted to DEcrease my medication as well! It was crazy and very, VERY frustrating. I fought with them and fought with them and finally ended up transferring. BUT I don't know if this clinic is going to be any better about it, but at least this one is closer to me so if I file a complaint, I won't have as far to drive if they decide to retaliate. (I was driving 3 hrs ONE WAY to my old clinic, this one is 1 1/2 hrs away).

Anyway, do you plan to ask for an increase? Do you think they will give it to you? Do you know many others from you clinic on doses over 120mg?

You take care now and I will talk to you later!

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned)
Back to top Go down
knitNpurl

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Good Experience in Maryland   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 9:48 am

Hi, my name is Faith. I've been on methadone for 4 yrs. I originally was at a private clinic that had my dose up to 120mg in my first 3 days. The highest I went up was 140mg. I then decided to start a very slow detox. I am now at 80mg and very comfortable. My original goal was to be methadone free by my birthday in January, but life took a turn.
I lost my job in June. I could no longer afford the $70 a week. In the 4 yrs I was there I never once had a dirty urine, missed a call back or an appointment. When I explained that I lost my job, the nurse practitioner at the clinic bent over backwards to help me.
She finally arranged for a federally funded clinic to take me. I pay almost nothing. She also made sure I could keep my takehomes. I go to the clinic twice a month and will be going once a month by Christmas. Baltimore is the heroin capital of the eastcoast. We are known for having a larger problem than NYC or Philly. It would have been so easy for me to fall through the cracks, but by doing the right thing, so many people have reached out and helped me.
I wish you could all have the type of experience I had here.
However, the reason I am detoxing is because I need to move to upstate NY to be closer to an elderly parent. I've been told the clinics in the Buffalo NY area are a nightmare. I will finish my detox in Maryland before I put myself through that!

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Aligned.)
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:11 am

Faith,

Thanks so much for sharing that with us and I agree! I wish we all could have an experience like that! Sounds like you had a great clinic. How do you get treated at the federally funded clinic? Is it better, worse or the same as the private clinic? Some people have complained that they are treated worse at federally funded clinics than private one but I have nothing to base that on myself. I have always attended private clinics because the federally funded ones are few and far between. I was driving 3 hrs one way to the private clinic but one finally opened up within 1 1/2 hrs away so I don't even know where the closest federal funded clinic is!

You should be so proud of yourself that you were able to hang in there during rough times and not fall back into the addiction cycle. It is hard to stay clean and sober even on methadone when things are really going wrong so that is a great accomplishment.

Hang in there and thanks again for sharing with us!
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: I FINALLY WAS APPROVED AN INCREASE at a new clinic.......   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Hello everyone.I know I have a tendency to write a book when I post and go on a little long so I will try to keep it short.

You all know the trouble I have been having getting a dose increase from the clinic I was attending (if you aren't familiar with the horror story, please see my post under rate your clinic)

I have been on 120mg for 5 yrs and have been having problems with the dose for about a year now. The clinic had a cap at 120mg and would make you do a Peak and Trough. Even after having a P&T which they obviously didn't know how to interpret and fighting with them for about 3 months (they kept stringing me along saying well, doc said you need to go get on antidepressants and then he would see, doc said you needed to have a P&T and then we will see........blah blah blah) I jumped through their hoops but never did get an increase.

I would have a 3 hr one way drive to this clinic so I knew if I filed a complaint, they would retaliate and probably drop my level and there is NO WAY I could make a 6 hr round trip more frequently than I already was.

LONG STORY SHORT......I transferred clinics. Now I need to add here that the old clinic "talked" to the potential new clinic before I transferred to see if they used P & T and all that and basically led me to think that it wasn't hopeful to get an increase there but at least this clinic was only 1 1/2 hrs one way and I could pursue a complaint about my dose a whole lot easier there if it came to that.

Today I saw the doc for the first time. I had decided I wasn't going to say anything about a dose increase to her yet. I was going to get "settled" in the new clinic first and then go from there. She told me that she wanted me to have an EKG done because I had been on 120mg so long and the QT Interval stuff that they are all talking about now and then, get this...........are you ready for this??? She said, "I see you seem to be having some withdrawal symptoms do you need to go up on your dose?" All I could do was sit there w/my mouth hanging open like a goof ball! She said "We can go up to 130mg and see how that works and go from there if you want" I ALMOST FELL OUTTA MY CHAIR! Now, let me remind you, the "old" clinic said I was not showing symptoms of W/D even though I would point them out to them but this doc saw it right off! I didn't say anything to her about it, SHE brought it up. I was so relieved I almost started crying right there. ALL these months of suffering was for nothing and it could have all stopped if I had just left the other clinic sooner.

There are other things I notice about this clinic as well that are big improvements compared to the other.

There were 2 times that I had surgery (once an appendectomy and once I was having kidney stones and there was pain from that as well as the surgery) and one time when I was in LABOR! The stupid doctors I was having to see thought that my methadone should be pain meds enough and refused me pain meds. Well, I tried to call the "old" clinic and ask them or the doctor to speak with these docs and tell them it was ok for me to have pain meds and that I would need more than the average person..........they would NOT do it. They also wouldn't even take phone calls from these doctors when I finally talked the doctors into calling the clinic themselves! This new clinic, the doc is not like that at all. She will talk to them and has no problem telling them what you need and if they won't give it to you, SHE will!

I use to think that my "old" clinic was a really good clinic, and compared to some of the other clinics, they probably are but that is only if you do exactly what they want and don't bother them or have a problem..........whatever. I didn't see just how bad they really were until I went to a clinic where they were so good. It is like night and day.

Ok, I will quit rambling for now. It is just such a relief to me. You guys can relate I am sure.

Oh, I ended up asking her to hold off on my increase for now (it's another long story and probably a great forum topic too!) the old clinic would give us the generic methadone (methadose) and a generic medication can be 3mg more or less than the guidelines and still be within their standards for medication. I have been on the brand name pills since starting the new clinic and they have been holding me a whole lot better than the generic. Now I know some people think this is "all in your head" but even the doc agreed that the fillers and binders each of them use are different and they could slow down how fast your body processes the methadone as well as the fact that there could actually be a difference in the milligrams. So, I told her I would like to hold off, give it a few more weeks and then see but it is SO NICE to know that I IF I DO need it, I won't be forced to grovel and beg for it and still get denied the increase.

Thanks for listening you guys,
Ruthannn
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 11:22 pm

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Blessi10
RuthAnn,
I am so happy for you. Having to watch you go through what you were was just like watching Deborah go through her ordeal all over again. Eventually with help Deborah was finally able to find a new clinic and is now treated with respect and was also able to go up on her dose as she so badly needed.
And now you, look at you. I know that it was hard for you to take that step and switch clinics not knowing what the outcome would be. But you did and I am proud of you for doing it.
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Yeah Dee, I can't tell you the relief I feel now. The nightmare is finally over and now maybe I can get back to "normal" again. Things had gotten bad and I had started to feel like an addict again after all these years of being clean. It got to where hubby had to keep and hide my key and take it with him when he left for work everyday because Lord help him if he didn't. I would tear this house apart trying to find it. I then would have to lie and be deceitful to him about if I had gotten into it or not and hoping he wouldn't find out before I could "fix it". If I had taken extras, I would be left counting pills to make sure I had enough to get me through all the same behaviors I was doing as an addict.
The most frustrating part of all to me was that I KNEW methadone worked on a stable dose, I KNEW that is all I needed for things to be right again and THEY WERE NOT LISTENING TO ME and were DENYING me the thing that I knew would make things better again. At the old clinic, they started making me feel like I was "drug seeking" and that I did not NEED an increase I just wanted it to get high. YEAH RIGHT! It doesn't make you high to begin, certainly not at the teeny tiny increases they would give out.

It is just such a relief to know that I was NOT crazy, I was NOT drug seeking and I was NOT at a dead end with no hope in sight.

At the new clinic, they are figuring in my drive distance and have been trying to accomodate me on things like that and it's only about 1 hr 20-30 minutes. I drove 3 hrs one way before and they didn't care.

It's the little things like that where I have noticed the differences n the two clinics.

Like I said before, the "old" clinic wasn't as bad as some I have heard about ( as long as you didn't need or want anything!) but it SURE lets me see that they are lacking and even more thankful for the great one I have found now.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aligned)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 2:50 am

RuthAnn,
I am soooo happy for you! I am so excited that you are now in a clinic that seems to be alot better than the old one. Having a doctor who listens & cares is the best feeling in the world at a methadone clinic. I know you are loving the shorter drive!
so Congratulations!
Cat
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Congraulations, Ruthann   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 pm

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Lucky_10
Dear Ruthann,

Congraulations! I can't tell you how thrilled we all are for you. God finally answered us and believe me, there was many prayers sent up for you. You deserved what you obtained and I'm ecstatic and I'll be even happier when you move to Georgia.

I wish we all could experience what it means to be in a good "Opiate Treatment Program" because it makes so much difference in your recovery as I am sure those who are in one will agree with me.

Cat and I both have been in bad ones like you and we know what they are like and I personally have battled through bad ones for the last few years but now I'm in one of the very best in Georgia. Cat can share with you, we have one of the best physicians they are a nd not only is He our physician at our Opiate Treatment Program but he is both our Primary Care Physician which makes it doubly good. I am sure Cat will agree with me and now it sounds like we have Ruthann in an excellent one but Ruthann, we need you to share the name of the one you attend and where it is located in case there are others in the vicinity who would like to transfer.

I'm asking each of you when you share about your "Opiate Treatment Program" not to forget to share the name of it and where it is located and it is for the benefit of others reading the posts. We need to let each other know where the good ones are located, don'tr you think because we have people from all over the United States and other countries reading these posts. They may be looking for a new program or they may be just starting out on methadone and it is one reason I ask you to share where you attend and let us know if they do go over 100 mg or if it is a problem. We all need to join together to help one another and by sharing the information of where we attend may help many others who read the posts because they may live in the area and we certainly want to warn them if it is bad Opiate Treatment Program.

What can I say to you , Ruthann but thank God and I am so happy you are in a good one but please share the name of the one with us? I want to thank you for bringing out the point about the difference in generic versus brand name.

Some people think there is no difference and in some medications there isn't but I can tell you there is a difference in the brand and generic formulation of methadone. Believe me, at first I thought it was just in their heads, too because I started out on generic methadone and of course, it worked just fine for me because I had never tried the brand name. Then I transferred to an Opiate Treatment Program which used only the brand name and I just could n How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Icon_rolleyes ot believe there was such a difference in the two. It was enough you could tell it and I wish so much we had the brand name where I attend now. I won't complain about it since our doctor is aware there is a difference in the two and is willing to increase my dose. I wish all the doctors were aware there was a difference in the generic and trade name for if you transfer to another program they may not be using the same formulation as you had at the last and it will make a difference in your dose. Take the time to share the information with your friends and check it out and see whether your doctor is aware where you attend.

Next, I want to thank all of you for sharing about your "Opiate Treatment Program" and the ones who did share are making much progress in their recovery and they care about others but many of you didn't even answer. I know all of you aren't satisfied and if you are and they do go over 100 mg then share with us the names of your programs so others will know. If we can't help one another out, then how can we expect others to help us out. If you are unable to obtain an increase and you need one badly, we need to know the name of yours so others won't end up there in the same boat you are in. If you will let me know you need an increase, we do have a prayer group and we will add your name to it and pray for you. You must be willing to open up and share with us and I would like to add the name of yours to the list I am compiling of the ones who will not dose over 120mg.

I need the names of your Opiate Treatment Programs if they will not increase your dose over 120 mg. We only have until the end of November to get them in. Please if you want to see change, please let me know the names of the ones who will not increase your dose. You don't have to give me your name at all. I just the name and location of the one you attend. I'm asking all of you to please take the time to answer the question and let us know????? It doesn't take long to do it and you will be making a difference in the world.

I extend a special thanks to all of you who took the time to answer and share. Now, let's hear from the rest of you and if you would like for us to add you to our prayer list if you need an increase. Cat, I just went up to 320 mg but after being on 280 mg for six years with no increase and switching from trade name to generic I think it is going to take a lot more but thank God for Dr. Tacoronti. He is the very best!

Your Administrator,

Deborah

Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Well DUH! I can't believe I forgot to give the name of the new clinic. It is Center Recover Center (yeah haha!) in Center, Texas. The Dr is Linda Todd and the clinic has only been around about 4 hrs. All the staff, including Dr Todd also live and have other jobs in this town so they are basically "taking care of their own". Dr Todd runs a GP practice as well in Center and the therapist also works at another mental health clinic so they are "invested" in this town and I think that has alot to do with how they treat people too.

The old clinic that I had so much trouble with who wouldn't go over 120mg was Huntsville Clinic Inc in Hunstville, Tx and it is owned by Stacy Harris. The doc is Dr Hung Dao. She also owns a clinic in Conroe Texas and uses the same doc and same staff so that clinic is also one that won't go over 120mg. It is called Conroe Treatment Center or Conroe recovery Center I can't remember which but it is located in Conroe Texas. So be sure and put both her clinics on the "won't go over 120mg" list.

The funny thing is that when the clinic in Center first opened up, SAMHSA has Stacy Harris and her staff go over to Center and show them how they run their clinic because SAMHSA said Stacy's clinics were such a good "model" that they had her show others how to run their clinics.

I am so glad Dr Todd didn't follow ALL of Stacy's procedures.........

Thanks for all your help Deb, Cat, Dee and everyone who has taken the time to see me through this. Change is never easy, especially if you aren't sure what is on the other side is going to be better or worse but you guys saw me through it and that means alot to me!
Back to top Go down
mmtforme

Male
Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the outdoors
Humor : Caddy Shack
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Current dose   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi, Currently my dose is at 160mg and I have split dosing. I only go in to the clinic to dose 3 times a week and soon it will be down to 1 day a week plus the Saturday group I love to attend. I take 80 mg in the morning, then I take the 2nd dose of 80 mg about 12 hours later, before bedtime. I have been split dosing since September, and I have been at 160mg since early August. The split dosing works great for me, I am never drowsy and I feel much more stable and that makes since, because I dose twice a day, my peaks are not as high and my troughs are not as low, I stay at the correct theraputic level. I have some chronic pain issues that can sometimes disrupt sleep and also the pain can be bothersome and for some reason, the split dosing helps that issue. Split dosing is NOT for everyone, nor will everyone who thinks they should split dose, will get the approval. I was in the hospital in a CD unit when split dosing was proposed by me and the doctors gave it a try under controlled environment and the results were positive. I had to have the doctors approval at the clinic also and my counselor and director before this was put in place. I hope this helps. As always, be honest when you are asked about your dose and if it is holding you or if their are any problems, that is the only way you will get to YOUR correct dose, everyone is different, do not compare doses.
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience with your dosing and the split dosing. Split dosing does work very good for a lot of people. Originally the doctor who first had me put on methadone (he was a reg GP and was taking a risk prescribing it for me for detox since he wasn't a opiate treatment clinic) he orginally had me dosing twice a day. At the time I was able to get by with 20mg in the AM and 20mg in the PM. it wasn't until I started going to a clinic and would only get dosed once a day that I had problems w/it holding me all day and was taking 70-80mg once a day. They would have done split dosing for me, but I would have had to come to the clinic twice a day and I was driving a hour one way so this was not doable.

However, since I have been a once a month clinic pt, I have tried to split dose on my own and it does seem to help some as well. The problem I was having was the dose I was taking would make me kinda drowsy, but by the end of the day, I was in active w/drawals so the split dose helped so much! I wasn't sleepy anymore and I would take the evening dose so I wouldn't be w/drawing in the evenings anymore.

For some reason though, after my son was born, that messed me up some how (I had worked myself down to 35mg a day to try and minimize the baby having probs) after he was born, I eventually ended back up to 80-90mg and eventually up to the 120mg and was STILL having probs. I even split my dose THREE ways and was still having probs. It was generic methadone which I firmly believe from my own experience had alot to do with it too.

That is when I needed to go over 120mg and the clinic in Huntsville, Tx wouldn't (even though my peak and trough showed that I needed an increase) LOOOONG story that most of you are already familiar with! If not, you can go back and read my story with that fight.

Now at the new clinic, (I've been there since Sept but still call it the "new" clinic for some reason) they have me on real methadone, not a generic and did give me a 10mg increase and I was amazed at the difference. I think I could still use another 10-20mg increase but I don't stuggle near as much as I use to. My husband still has to keep and hide my key for me though because for some reason, if he didn't I would gobble up all my take home doses. I still haven't quite gotten that problem figured out and this works for us and allows me to keep my once a month status.

Okay, I got off subject and rambled ALOT! lol! you guys have a great week and thanks for sharing your story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?   How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg? Empty

Back to top Go down

How many of you are on a higher dose than 100mg?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next