Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE Empty
PostSubject: DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE   DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Just like benzodiazepines, alcohol can be fatal when consumed by a patient who also takes methadone.

These two substances interact in several ways.

Worst of all, alcohol inhibits the area of the brain that keeps us breathing while we sleep. So do opioids of all sorts, including methadone. But when alcohol and methadone are both in the blood stream, the effects are greater than expected, due to synergy. In other words, 1+1=3, instead of 2, as we would expect. This interaction is unpredictable. This is how overdose deaths occur with the combination of alcohol and methadone.

Besides this potentially fatal interaction, alcohol also induces, or speeds up, the metabolism of methadone. Both alcohol and methadone are metabolized by the same enzymes in the liver, and alcohol can prime the pump of the metabolic rate. Alcohol gooses the liver, speeding the metabolism of methadone, which means a patient on a previously stable dose of methadone may suddenly notice that his dose isn’t holding for the full 24 hours. This patient may ask for a dose increase, when in truth, he really needs to stop drinking alcohol completely.

Over the long term, alcohol can cause a buildup of methadone to a toxic level, if the drinking goes on long enough to cause liver scarring and shrinkage, called cirrhosis. If this condition develops, liver metabolism slows for any drug or medicine processed by the liver.

Addiction is cunning, baffling, and powerful. It’s incredible to think of a person who’s able to stop using opioids after years of addiction be defeated by alcohol. Cross addiction, which means switching from one addictive drug to another, happens all too frequently. Sometimes it’s hard to convince patients they need to stop the use of all addicting drugs, and that does include alcohol and marijuana.

Taken from Jana Burson's Blog

http://janaburson.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/dont-drink-alcohol-if-you-are-taking-methadone/
Back to top Go down
floydfx05

floydfx05

Female
Number of posts : 71
Humor : PEACE
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE   DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 pm

wow I didnt realize that, I know a few people that still drink while on methadone, Thats scarry.
Thank you for that info..
Back to top Go down
kd200304

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: telephone calls   DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 11:00 am

just wanted to let everyone know that if you need assistance or help that the people on the phones are wonderful. i talked to a man about moving to a new state and changing clinics. he was friendly, compassionate, helpful etc. thank you so much for your time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE   DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE Empty

Back to top Go down

DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE ON METHADONE
Page 1 of 1