Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Finallyachance

Finallyachance

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-11

What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left? Empty
PostSubject: What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left?   What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left? EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Could someone tell me exactly and then some what documents/records named out would I request from my patient file if I wanted to pick up my records and drive them to another clinic to meet with the Doctor there. I want my latest EKG Results as this is one of the problems I want to discuss with the Doctor and my Peak and Trough as I want to discuss this with the Doctor, but if he said ok I am going to admit you today in our clinic and I wanted all my records on me that day what should I request/get copies of. Please only the for sure;s no guessing. And....where can I find out and print off a copy of my right to request my own personal copy of my patient chart. I worked in Treatment years ago and I must say I never figured out why but the clinic I worked for was really hesitant to give clients thier files or a copy of all the contents etc... they would pick and choose what to give. I want to know what I have a right to get and I am going to go in and wait on the administrator (at my old clinic I left a month ago) that has never showed up for our appointments and I am going to ask him nicely if I could speak with him and then I want to ask for my chart or a copy of it. What can I have from their records and what can I take with me in my defense? I would like to have as much of my file as I can but I am sure I won't get all I want. Please help me with the law, legalities, rights etc.... that I need to know and/or quote.
Back to top Go down
oldbrowndog

oldbrowndog

Female
Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : I enjoy outdoor activities.
Registration date : 2011-10-30

What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left?   What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 1:58 am

I did this once. I asked for the following:
1. All Progress Notes from All Staff Members
2. Complete Chart of my Dosing History
3. All Entry Documents signed by me.
4. Discharge Documents (if any)
5. Annual Physical Results (if any)
6. UA Reports
7. Lab (blood) work and any other test reports like P/T Test Results and TB Test Results.
8. Also, any specific type of paperwork that you remember signing and did not get a copy.

You have a right in my state to a copy of your health records and I believe this is true for all states (Check your State Regulations). Remember that they also have a right to charge you PER copy if they are so inclined. I was charged 25 cents per copy as an "Admin Fee". I think every patient should be entitled to one free copy of their records but it usually does not work out this way.

The way I did it was like this.... I asked for an appointment to review my file with the director or the counselor. This gave me time to look through it carefully and see what was in it before I started to request anything. AFTER I looked over the whole file carefully (I did not let them rush me) then I made my request with the file in my hand for the copies I wanted. At that point they cannot hide anything because you have already seen that it is there. Idea

In my state we are not allowed to hand carry our documents to another clinic for fear we will alter them. We have to sign a Records Release so that the old clinic can fax the documents to the new clinic. You might want to check your state laws on this point. I just said that "I would like to have a copy of my health records please and this is what I would like". If I thought they were going to give me a problem then I would have a signed letter all typed out "Request for Patient Records" with the things you know for sure that you want and then leave a few blank lines at the bottom under Misc: that you could fill in with a pen after you review your file in case you find something else. They also required me to sign a Release of Information for myself as I recall.

Hope this helps Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Finallyachance

Finallyachance

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left?   What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left? EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:32 pm

•Those licensees providing episodic care should attempt to provide a copy of the patient’s record to the patient, the patient’s primary care provider, or, if applicable, the referring physician.
•If it is feasible, patients should be given an opportunity to claim the records or have them sent to another physician before old records are discarded.
•The physician should respond in a timely manner to requests from patients for copies of their medical records or to access to their medical records.
•Physicians should notify patients of the amount, and under what circumstances, the physician will charge for copies of a patient’s medical record, keeping in mind that N.C. Gen. Stat. 90-411 provides limits on the fee a physician can charge for copying of medical records.
I got the above from the North Carolina Medical Board Website.

Thank You so much for being so patient and then on top of that so available and then on top of that so Knowledgeable. lol. Good Idea I have an excellent relationship with my old counselor. (I hope things have not changed) Problem being she might be unaware of her rights to do so as she was a bit cautious when I went over there last week ago and ask for my P&T.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left?   What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is my legal/patient right to get a copy of my records from a clinic I recently left?
Page 1 of 1