Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BekkahJ

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-02

Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? Empty
PostSubject: Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?   Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 am

My brother came to me with a question, albeit a fear, about his MMT being disclosed to his employer as a result of a drug screen. The situation is as follows: he and I are both on MMT and have found much success after many failed attempts at recovering from heroin addiction. Three years ago I started my journey with MMT and have had new life breathed into me...he saw my success and inquired, so I informed him about what was involved and he began his MMT as well. However, he is returning to our hometown soon and will begin working for our father in the family business. My father is very strict with his drug screening and no one is exempt (and rightfully so)...the problem is, he has a VERY skewed view of methadone and has stated various times that he sees is as "replacing dope with dope". He is very set in his ways and would NEVER accept that my brother or myself is taking a medication with such stigma. We have quietly gone about our treatment, and simply not informed him that we have chosen MMT. My question is this: even though my brother is a legitimate MMT patient who attends a legitimate clinic (which means he is prescribed this drug), will our father (err his employer) be informed that he is in fact taking methadone if the screen shows positive?? I know that legally in any other circumstance, the answer would be no...but methadone always seems to fall thru the cracks in the legal system and is almost always looked down upon by those who aren't educated about it.

The opportunity for him to work for our father is one he has waited on for a lifetime, and he is very nervous. I am trying hard to find an answer for him, as I hate to see him throw away his recovery or his future. Any input would be greatly appreciated...thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?   Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 2:32 am

Hi there and I am so glad to hear of your success w/MMT.

Do you know what type of drug testing is going to be done? Let me explain why I ask. Methadone does not show up on just a "regular" drug screen. It has to be tested for specifically. Most drug screens test for cocaine, opiates, marijuana, benzos, methamphetamines, amphetamines, PCP and barbituates. However, with the increase of methadone abuse, the 10 panel drug screen now tests for methadone and antidepressants as well as the other above mentioned drugs.

So if you know what "panel" drug test is going to be used, this can help narrow it down. As I said, methadone doesn't show up as an opiate or any other medication/drug. It has to be tested for SPECIFICALLY.

Now if they do use a test for methadone and his father (AKA employer) fires his because of it, since he goes to a MMT clinic and can provide proof that he is in an approved substance abuse program and gets his methdone from there, he can NOT be fired just because of the MMT alone. There are laws that protect a recovering addict in MMT from discrimination based on the fact that they are on methadone.

Something else he may want to consider is talking to his clinic, explaining the situation with his father and if they have this type of relationship, he may have his father come w/him to see his doc and/or counselor at the clinic so they can explain to him how MMT really works or they may have some brochures or something he can show his father.

As addicts, the ones we've hurt so bad in the past are so hesitant to trust us again and it's understandable, but maybe if he is upfront with his father from the beginning, provides him with some info from the clinic or online (we have a great area w/resources like this if you are interested I can share the links w/you) and/or have him and his dad speak w/the counselor and talk this out and all, maybe, just maybe this may help. You didn't say how long your brother has been on MMT. I think it would especially help if he's been on MMT for a while and has been stable and doing well so that he can say to you guys' dad that "Hey, I've been doing so good for the past xxx months, weeks, years and it was because I am on MMT......: something along those lines. You get what I mean? Like if he has some "good behavior time" under his belt while on MMT and he can use this to show ya'lls dad how it has helped.

And again, if all else fails, it is illegal for him to not be hired or to be fired from a job STRICTLY because of the MMT.

Please keep us posted on how this turns out for your guys and what you/he decides to do about it.

Thanks for reaching out to us and let us know if we can be of any other help in the future. Congrats on you and your brother's recovery and how you have both been doing so well!~
Back to top Go down
BekkahJ

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?   Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!! I wish I'd have known about this forum in my early MMT days!! The amount of info here is amazing. The name truly says it all, this entire site is like a light at the end of a dark tunnel, because even in our recovery it seems like MMT patients are always in an uphill battle against the stigma attached and people who simply aren't educated about it.

Concerning my brother, I don't think it's an issue of hire or fire...I think it's simply an issue of wanting our fathers approval and the fear of losing it now that the relationship is on the cusp of repair. I wish I would have been upfront with dad about my treatment from the beginning, so in the case of a situation such as my brother's, there would already be some understanding in place. Sadly, I kept mine a secret for the same reason. I had destroyed my relationship with dad and once he started coming around after he started seeing my progress, my fear I losing his support kept me tight lipped about my methadone.

I apologize for straying from the subject for a moment. Thank you so much for your suggestions as well as the information you provided...maybe if we can open his eyes a bit, we can both tell him our story without fear of disapproval (in due time). I'll have to see if I can find out what sort of test will be administered to him and work from there. Thank you again, I have so many stories, experiences, etc. to share and LOVE visiting this forum, so you'll probably hear from me a lot Smile You guys n gals ROCK!!!
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?   Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 4:30 pm

I am glad you found our site too. That is what we strive to create here is a place to come to for info and support.

I do understand about wanting to please you guy's dad and have his approval, but sometimes ppl just are so set in their beliefs that there is no changing their minds about it. The only thing that may help is time. Time for your dad to see how well you guys are doing and all the while knowing it is because you are on MMT. It is scary to think of telling those we want so badly to have approval from, especially when things finally seem to be going so well between us and that person so you don't want to do anything to "rock the boat" but the only way we as MMT pts are going to be able to show ppl the truth behind MMT is to speak out and show them our own results. Let them see how well we are doing and remind them of what things were like before MMT.

I hope we do hear from you more often, be sure and tell your brother about us too! lol!

Whenever you are ready we would love to hear your story of recovery and if you need anything just let us know.
Back to top Go down
Finallyachance

Finallyachance

Female
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?   Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 am

The 10 panel most employees stay away from as the are much more expensive I heard. I do not know that for sure maybe someone else might know ruthann??? And....My mother believes the same thing as your Father but I have been in MMT now two years and she will have to be the one to eat crow if she finds out about me being on methadone as she has been gloating, praising and singing my praises for the last two years regarding the fact I am doing so well. She is so glad to have me back etc... and I will one day have to tell her well Mom this goies to show what MMT has done for not only me but me and you also because you have been so pleased without having the fact that you have been so pleased because methadone has worked for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?   Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can an employer be informed of a Methadone positive UDS?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark :: Federal Regulations :: Drug Screens-
Jump to: