Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hello from MASS.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
debjs

Female
Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Reading, researching subjects of interest
Humor : dry, love puns, a bit sarcastic, never hurtful.
Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Hello from MASS.   Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 am

I began taking drugs at 13, but didn't begin using opiate until I was 18.
I knew from the first time I used heroin-my first and always favorite narcotic that I had found the something I had been looking for to fill the hole inside me.
My run lasted from 18 to 32-I lived in a crap apartment, had sold everything, had lost my daughter who was now living with her father's aunt (in a much better environment than I had been providing) and I had just finished doing 30 days in prison because they had no jails for women in Mass. at that time.Jail is not for me and I swore I would never be back, one sargeant believed me-and I never did go back.

That year the state changed the law and Mass Health began picking up the tab for MMT.
It was like a dream that came true. The clinic's with a sliding scale payment option had waiting lists a mile long and you had to call every week or you went to the end of the list again. I can tell you that no active addict is reliable enuogh to commit to that, as small as it seems.
Habit Managememt Inc. was small and expensive, but when Mass health changed their tune and HMI accepted we flocked there en masse.

I got on the clinic in October, by January they began the Mobile Dosing program. A small mobile home was changed into a dosing unit. I only had to go one town over by bus and walk on the van, get my dose and go home.
At that time it was the best clinic in the country. Now, with all the rules (if you miss more than one group they can throw you off) and reg.s it is no longer the dream clinic it once was, but it is a huge money maker.
It seems like they are looking for reasons to toss people because they are overcrowded and they have changed their whole philosophy.
It use to bethey beleived addiction was a disease and if you wanted to try and live without Tx. that was your choice, but we were given the data on the number of relapses.
Now they have changed their tune and the philosophy is to get people on and off as quickly as possible.
Yes, many are very young & never had any other issue other than doing too many oxycontin for 2 or 3 years, but there are other people who spent years on the street selling everything they had and were just to get one more bag of dope.
I don't know if I would make it off the clinic. Almost all my old friends are dead. I don't want to make that list.

I am grateful-do not misunderstand me, but things go on in that clinic that are strongly suspect, no one knows who owns it and the psychiatrist who says yay or nay about everything seems not to like the very idea of MMT. It seems like an odd choice. Thank Goodness I have my own therapist and psychiatrist.

There is also a problem with the quality of the methadose and I don't know why we cannot have a choice between tablets or liquid.

Heroin was not worth the horror and pain it caused to me and so many, but I was helpless once I began-and though heroin was not worth the trouble, It wasn't worth it, getting better has been..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from MASS.   Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi debjs,
Welcome!!
It's good to have you with us. More and more clinics are following the same path. Maybe not all of them but there sure are a lot that are only here for the money. They make their own rules and to heck with what is right.
Have you tried to find out why your not given a choice in which type of Methadone you are allowed? Just what you see is what you get & probably the cheaper the better as far as they are concerned.
It's been a long time since I was in MMT but I thought there was a choice between either the liquid or diskettes

I wonder why it is that no one wants anyone to know who owns the clinic. There has to be a way of finding that information out. I would be happy to check for you if you want to pm me the name of the clinic that you attend.
Things can be changed even if by small baby steps. I'm glad to hear of your success despite all that you have been through. Congratulations on your recovery and Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I often say, one story shared is the possibility of another person helped.
Best wishes to you,
Dee

"I will let yesterday end so that today can begin"

Never take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org

Hello from MASS.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1