Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tennessee changes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
barbers

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Tennessee changes Empty
PostSubject: Tennessee changes   Tennessee changes EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 pm

I have been a MMT patient for over four years. This treatment has worked wonders in most all aspects of my life. I was addicted after given a prescription over ten years ago and it was an issue from that point on. I see people every single day that need help so bad. The nearest clinics are too far many times for these people to afford the trip (I have tried to make them understand that when they quit buing their fix it may be much easier to afford the gas). I am currently enrolled in college and I believe I owe my treatment a huge thank you for that. I am 36 years old. I decided to go back to school to become a Nurse practitioner and I want to specialize in addiction. I believe in addiction it is easier to listen to someone who has been there rather than someone who is assuming. Around where I live opiates are rampant and the numbers are growing everyday. I have given 3 speeches on the effect of prescription drug abuse on the body, mind, family, and overall this semester. I have been given the perfect opp to write a paper. I want to inform people about the success of MMT. Lawmakers, lawmen, even my ex-job are all incorrect in the way we are treated. I was harassed and discriminated against and called names by my 4.5 year job here. Eventually on Dec. 23, 2012 ttey took me in the office after all the stir they had caused(announcing I would have never been hired had they known about my treatment ahead of time), I was told that they refused to work with my Spring college schedule. I didn't return because we were off for a week and then I had 1 week before I had to begin the schedule they refused to work with. I filled out paperwork for the rest of my pell grant for change of income. Well, they sent the separation from employment papers to me and I was refused they had written I quit voluntarily. The way I know that it wasn't anything I had done was nobody had any problems with me the first two years I was there and a methadone patient. Only after I began going once3 a month and having to leave early to get there. I switched to days and THAT is when the Sad Sad y started really being awful.
I had no choice to move to 2nds, no part -time NOTHING because they drug tested me and absolutely no one had ever had one nor did I the entire time. I passed anything they did to me I passed, so they found their outlet. i had consulted a lawyer over this problem 6 mo prior to when I was given the boot. I am still planning to try to do something. They blocked my grant for my education and any unemployment all over pure hate of methadone. Help!!! SJB Tennessee Wink
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Tennessee changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tennessee changes   Tennessee changes EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 pm

barbers,
I am so sorry to hear about the discrimination that has been laid upon you because of your choice to take a live saving medication such as Methadone.
I believe your going to do great work once you get to where your going as far as your nursing career. We need people to stand up for what's right. People need to band together. Things don't change on their own.
Letter writing, petitions and such can be a help. So many people have been helped throughout the years and it makes me so angry to hear of the injustice that was done to you.
What did your lawyer say? Did he have any suggestions that you can talk about? I understand confidentiality so if you can't say anything that's okay.
Hate and stigma is such a waste, if only people would open their eyes to the good of medication assisted recovery. I'm hear anytime you need to vent or talk.
Dee

Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org

Tennessee changes
Page 1 of 1