Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

addictive thinking: INSTANT GRATIFICATION

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

addictive thinking: INSTANT GRATIFICATION Empty
PostSubject: addictive thinking: INSTANT GRATIFICATION   addictive thinking: INSTANT GRATIFICATION EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 4:14 pm

addictive thinking: INSTANT GRATIFICATION Pillso10

In Addiction Recovery we must learn to get rid of the addictive thinking which tells us that instant gratification is the only kind of gratification we want or need. Have you ever heard of the saying "Time takes time"?

In this world we are so used to expecting everything RIGHT NOW that anything else seems unacceptable. This is where addicts can run into problems. We want to feel good now. If that isn't occurring by itself then we would usually take some sort of mood altering substance to guarantee instant results.

My need for instant gratification was just as strong as any other addicts. The best example I can give of this is when I have cravings to use. I start to feel completely uncomfortable and the urge seems overwhelming...until it passes.

When I was actively addicted to Oxycontin I used to combat a craving by using. Sure, that got rid of the craving but it would push me further and further down into my addictive life. So for this scenario I found that instant gratification was no longer an option.

When starting in addiction recovery, waiting for a craving to pass was probably one of the first times in my life that I did not seek out instant gratification. I would get a craving and I would actually weigh out my options. Sure, I could get rid of the craving by taking some sort of mood altering substance which would then go against everything that I have been working towards and possibly lead me right back to the horrible addictive cycle I just got out of...or I could wait and see what happens.

I obviously chose the latter. I waited... and you know what? The bad feeling went away. Not only did I feel good again, I felt great because I had used good judgment and I had stood my ground against my addictive thinking. So even though my gratification was not instant, it was better than what it would have been if I had given into my craving.

After finding out that instant gratification isn't always the right answer, I started to apply this to other scenarios in my life. I credit this for making me a much calmer and more easy going person. If more people, addicts or not, would try and cut down on their need for instant gratification I think that people as a whole would benefit.

It's AWE...wait for it, wait for it...SOME. See waiting wasn't so bad.
Back to top Go down

addictive thinking: INSTANT GRATIFICATION
Page 1 of 1