Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Benzos and methadone

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mmtforme

Male
Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the outdoors
Humor : Caddy Shack
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Benzos and methadone Empty
PostSubject: Benzos and methadone   Benzos and methadone EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 6:00 pm

When I started the clinic I am at now, I was on Temazepam for sleep and I was then prescribed valium. With the help of the doctor, director and my counselor I am off all benzos. I did relapse on September 4th, but I have been clean of everything since. I am so glad they have a strict policy towards benzos. I have seen too many people, including myself suffer uncountable negative consequences of benzos alone and combined with valium. I am convinced that benzos are very sneaky and the addiction to them horrible because the only way one can cope with life while taking them, is to take more. One will never get past what causes ones anxiety/panic until you can deal with lifes ups and downs without them. It was hard for me, very very hard. I had a long history of use and abuse of just about every benzo out there. I thank God that everyone at my clinic cares enough about us to help us get off these disastrious medications.
Back to top Go down
cski

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Gas powered remote control vehicles
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Methadone and valium experience....   Benzos and methadone EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 am

My Methadone clinic has a zero tolerance policy for benzo's, unless a patient absolutely has to have them, and has been taking them w/o "problems".

The first offense is an automatic dose reduction to HALF of your normal dose until you have 3 consecutive clean urines. Second offense in 1 year results in admin. detox and dissmissal from the clinic. (I go to a nice, clean, well-staffed clinic in Fairfax County, VA.).

I was a victim of this policy when I first started to go to the clinic. I was prescribed VALIUM (10QTY 10 MG BLUE TABS) for a root canal. My mistake was not bringing them in to be counted after a long weekend, and not notifying my counselor of legitimate short term need.

Well, I spent 35 days at 45 mg instead of 100mg of methadone daily. Then I felt terrible and anger and took 10 Xanax. My consequences were the following...I wrecked my car, and ended up in jail for 3 days till I was sober. I was convicted of reckless driving and not paying full time and attention. I paid $500.00 and time served.

That was 2 years ago. I have been clean ever since. Benzo's are horrible for me, and not part of my life plan. That includes Ambian and Lunesta. I eat and drive while on thesew substances without remembering. Very dangerous.

Just sharing my experience. Please try not to judge me!

Last edited by cski on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
Back to top Go down
Happylady5

Happylady5

Female
Number of posts : 93
Humor : It's a great day to be alive!
Registration date : 2010-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Benzos and methadone   Benzos and methadone EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:17 pm

No judging here. We are all here for the same reason. To have a helping hand with our addiction. Before I was on the clinic, I used to take benzos to sleep. I still have cravings for them to this day. Sometimes, I feel like I still need them because it is really hard for me to be around alot of people. I feel like my heart is going to pump out of me and I feel claustrophobic. Today, I had a huge craving at work, to do any drug. It's so frustrating sometimes trying to cope without drugs. I had a really tough day.
Back to top Go down
mmtforme

Male

PostSubject: benzos almost killed me   Benzos and methadone EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:51 am

I'm glad to know that someone is reading my original post. Thanks for sharing your experience with your clinic and benzos. The danger that the combination of benzos and opiates carry is a matter to be taken seriously by everyone. I understand that there is a time and place for benzos, but not in combination with opiates. I ended up in the ER several times from taking xanax, valium, ativan, clonazepam while on opiates for pain. It doesn't take a large amount of benzos to cause problems, in conjunction with opiates. Benzos and opiates are Central Nervous Suppressant (CNS), both of these drugs when taken together can have many serious consequences, the most serious being the suppression of breathing so much that a person will stop breathing and die. There will be no warning signs to the user that this is happening, you will simply stop breathing while being unconscious and die. Many of us have been saved from a fatal dose of opiates by a NARCAN injection, which removes opiates from their receptors and reverses their effects. There is no drug similiar to NARCAN for benzos! The doctor might be able to reverse an opiate overdose but you could still have taken enough benzos to be fatal. I rode this vicious cycle many, many times, and by all accounts I should not be alive, but my higher power who I choose to call God, has other plans for me. Anyways, I could speak ad infinitum on this subject and talk about receptors, receptor subtypes, receptor ligands, receptor agonists, antagonists, inducers and much much more, but I won't unless someone posts they want me too. The bottom line is this: everyone is different in regards to drug metabolism and because of this there is no way to know how much it would take to kill anyone of us. Your first time could be your last time. Benzos and opiates is probably the most dangerous drug combination there is, and this is a fact, not my opinion. On their own both drugs play a major role in the world of medicine, but both drugs together is are deadly. It has killed and will kill again. Please don't take these facts lightly. Don't prove me right.
Back to top Go down
cski

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Gas powered remote control vehicles
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Benzos and methadone   Benzos and methadone EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 6:38 am

Happylady5 wrote:
No judging here. We are all here for the same reason. To have a helping hand with our addiction. Before I was on the clinic, I used to take benzos to sleep. I still have cravings for them to this day. Sometimes, I feel like I still need them because it is really hard for me to be around alot of people. I feel like my heart is going to pump out of me and I feel claustrophobic. Today, I had a huge craving at work, to do any drug. It's so frustrating sometimes trying to cope without drugs. I had a really tough day.

Me too! Today was the worst, and the best...sort of. I am on disability for severe R/A, so I got my pay yesterday, and went about paying my bills...but I was craving cocaine like mad...and I had to really pray and just deal with it..money was the trigger, but my e-bay store isn't doing well due to economy, so I talked myself out of using.

I had a hundred bucks in my wallet after paying the clinic, so I gave it to my mom, instead of a check, so I could eliminate the money from my pocket and mind!

She paid for an emergency dental visit, so I owed my mom anyways.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
kd200304

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Benzos and methadone   Benzos and methadone EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:48 pm

well, im on the opposite side. i cannot do with out the benzos. I have tried and ended up im hospita l with panic attacks and eventually ended up in Icu FOR 30 DAYS after suicide attempt and another 6wks in psych. i have terrible PTSD. IVre been seeing a therapist but still need time to work through my issues. i also have sever anxiety and social disorder and among other medications, i take zanqx to help. with it i can drive, go to work, etc. without haveing to sit at the side of the road hypervenilating when something triggers my ptsd and can work. i went from 2mg pills and detoxed myself down to .5mg pills. i havent had any issues witht hos but my clinic will not let me go over 125 because of this.
Back to top Go down
mmtforme

Male

PostSubject: Re: Benzos and methadone   Benzos and methadone EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Kd200304- It is good for me to hear about people, like yourself, that have got down to a low dose. I have to remember that just because I use to abuse benzos that it does not mean that everyone else that takes them also abuses them. I'm glad you posted on this topic. I just know that I cannot take benzos without abusing them and if I forget that, I am in danger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Benzos and methadone   Benzos and methadone Empty

Back to top Go down

Benzos and methadone
Page 1 of 1