Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?

Go down 
+3
D
lilgirllost
Happylady5
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Happylady5

Happylady5

Female
Number of posts : 93
Humor : It's a great day to be alive!
Registration date : 2010-06-06

Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? Empty
PostSubject: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:46 am

The other day on my monthly review, my counselor was asking me those same questions to see how I was doing this month. My boyfriend is also in MMT. My counselor always asks how he is doing and how we are doing. I don't feel comfortable telling him the whole truth about my boyfriend. I think that he goes straight to his counselor and tells her what I said about him. It's getting to the point where I just don't want to say anything that is bothering me, about him because of fear that he will go straight to my boyfriends counselor and tell her what I said.

Some of what is bothering me mentally has to do with my boyfriend. It sure is nice to have someone to talk to about my sig. other. I do not feel comfortable talking to him about my significant other's progress regarding his drug use. He writes everything down as I talk. So now when my counselor gets to the part when he asks, "How is your boyfriend doing?' I just say fine or I don't know. I don't want to get my boyfriend in trouble, because of what I said. Somehow, I don't think that is right. Can my counselor tell my boyfriends counselor whatever I say about him, during my monthly counseling session?
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:16 pm

They are not SUPPOSE to, legally and ethically unless you signed a release saying it is ok for them to talk to your boyfriend about your treatment and same for them telling you stuff about your boyfriend.

Having said that, I can see where this situation is FILLED with conflict of interest in more ways than one!

I would flat out tell the counselor just what you told us.........that you want to be able to share everything w/them for the sake of your own "mental" well being, but that you don't feel like you can. Is there more than one counselor? Maybe you could have a different one from him?

I would definately speak to them about this concern. One small seemingly harmless "secret" that you are keeping from them will make it easier and easier the next time when it is something that is not so harmless and can hurt your recovery so I would get it out in the open now.
Back to top Go down
Happylady5

Happylady5

Female
Number of posts : 93
Humor : It's a great day to be alive!
Registration date : 2010-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 1:20 pm

The thing is I did sign a release so I could be in the room for a meeting when my boyfriend was having a hard time. It was his parents his counselor and me in the room. I really kind of regret signing it now. I will have to tell my counselor that I don't feel comfortable sharing everything with him and it my effect me in the long-run. I really don't want to create waves in the water.
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 10:45 pm

If I am not mistaken you should be able to take back your consent. When I first went into treatment I had to sign a consent from in order for my provider to be able to talk to my primary care physician and also obtain my records. But that consent expired one year after signing it and I had to sign another one in order for them to be able to keep in contact regarding my treatment.
At any time that I want to revoke that consent I can.
Maybe you can check into it to see if it is possible for you to take back that consent.
Weather or not your counselor is supposed to repeat what you tell them might be different from what actually happens. We have a patient here on the forum, she talked to her counselor about her husbands use of pot and in return she lost her take homes.( They attended the same clinic) Because he smokes pot, that meant that she was in an unstable environment so no more take homes. There was no paperwork signed stating that any information could be shared.

Try bring it up to someone like RuthAnn suggested and if that doesn't work, is there any way that you can attend counseling outside of your clinic so that you will be able to get some of the stuff out that you feel you really need to talk about?
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Yes, You are right Dee. She should be able to take it back or void the one that gave them permission. Or if they really want to get technical about it, you have decided that no one is to see/hear/talk about your treatment and write a new one all together saying you don't want the info shared.

I think if you speak to them and tell them how you feel about it, that you don't feel like you can totally tell them everything for fear of something that you say hurting your BF feelings if they said anything to him about what you had said. Or tell them that you feel like you are "telling on him" or "ratting him out" when you want to talk about what may be going on between you guys and then you are suppose to talk about it with them not knowing if he even wanted them to know about it or not............whatever. I would do it in a way that doesn't put them on the defensive first of all, you know don't say something like "Well you guys will blab whatever I tell you to him .............." anything along those lines that may put the counselor/clinic on the defensive....I can tell by the way you talk here that you know what I mean and know how to talk to themso that it turns it around to be on you and not that you have a prob with them or anything they are doing.

Let us know how it turns out but again, just like Dee said, you should be able to cancel or void the original one or if you have to flat out fill out a new one that takes away permission and make sure you date it and keep a copy for yourself!

Back to top Go down
Sammy

Sammy

Female
Number of posts : 15
Job/hobbies : Walking my lil Dog,W/ my Husband, Researching on the Computer, being Happy
Humor : I love Humor!
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Happylady   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 am

Happylady5 wrote:
The thing is I did sign a release so I could be in the room for a meeting when my boyfriend was having a hard time. It was his parents his counselor and me in the room. I really kind of regret signing it now. I will have to tell my counselor that I don't feel comfortable sharing everything with him and it my effect me in the long-run. I really don't want to create waves in the water.
If you want you can also tell your counslier that you want to work on you, And Your there for Help for You,and Tell Him like Dee said That you don't want that Paper you had signed in effect anymore, And if they Question it just say all is good, But I need to work on my own matter's I hope this help's you, Sincerely Sam.
Back to top Go down
boogy.pc

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : regional sales manager,love hunting an fishing an spending time with 3yr old grandson.
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I PROBALLY COULD ASK MINE ANYTHING BUT I GET SO ANNOY BY HER ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.sHE IS VERY NICE BUT I THINK SHE JUST GRADUATED AN SHE IS NEW TO THE QUESTIONING.
Back to top Go down
DONDI

Male
Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : READING IS MY TIME WHEN I HAVE TIME
Humor : A LOVEABLE SMILE
Registration date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: REPERCUSSION AWARENESS BE CAREFUL   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 am

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CONVERSATION SOME ARE COOL TO TALK TO BUT ALWAYS KEEP YOUR SELF IN CHECK WITH THEM. EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY BEGOOD WITH YOU BUT REMEMBER THEY HAVE A JOB TO DO AND ANY NEGATIVE THINGS YOU SAY MIGHT COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU.
Back to top Go down
sckofclinicbs

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:49 pm

I have been disapointed with they call counseling at my clinic. First my counselor is the director as well. No i can NOT talk to her about anything. If the topic involves feelings i know to avoid the topic especially if i am feeling like I'm about to cry. It seems to annoy her. She likes to be agreed with and likes to talk intellectually about topics that interest her. She doesn't to schedule one on ones. Treatment plan? I haven't done one in five years. Pain, PTSD, Depression, anxiety? They don't exist to her and she states the DMSV was only written so that insurance could be billed using certain diagnosis. Oh and the kicker is this: she doesn't believe that physical withdrawal is as bad is a patient says. Her words, "if you are feeling sick, then you aren't doing the things you need to do to avoid being sick". I'm tapering very slowly and often times i will think i'm tapering only find that the computer system they use "lost" my taper schedule. She will say it's put in again but the nurse will check and notice that it's been not there. I could go on and on. This weekend i was very upset over a phonecall i had with her on Friday. Honestly, i felt like some of the she said were akind of abusive, unethical and could cause a patient harm. I found a site called good therapy.org and an article listing 50 warning signs of a bad therapist. I noticed many of the things she has said/done were listed on this site. I didn't feel like the crazy one anymore. I will switch clinics when she lets me because shes holding me weeklies over my head right now. I think Dee is posting my question in this forum somewhere that discusses that so i can get feedback. Thank you for letting me vent.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?   Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you feel like you can tell your counselor anything without repercussion?
Page 1 of 1