Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization Empty
PostSubject: THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization   THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 1:50 pm

Slowly I am becoming more and more comfortable with being sober in social settings. I have found it easier and easier to be myself in front of people and carry on real conversations where I actually listen to people instead of just waiting to talk. Then I had kind of a weird sober socializing setback.

I had attended a party a couple of weekends ago where my husband's side of the family also was. The day was crappy and we were sitting outside under a tent in the pouring rain. That didn't bother me any, I was still happy to be out of the house and around people.

I had written a post previously about having a slight case of social anxiety which I used to self medicate for with beer and drugs. Since I am no longer doing that, I just have to tough it out and wait for myself to become more comfortable in the situation.

With this particular party I saw people that I hadn't seen in a very long time and it was nice to catch up. Because of this I was all over the place talking to this table and that table. I didn't really spend much time sitting down at my family's table. I didn't think anything of it but my family thought I was acting kind of peculiar.

The following Monday my husband had informed me that my brother in-law had questioned him about my behavior at the party. He said that they had thought I was a little fidgety and that I was all over the place. He asked if I was ok and he also asked if I was on any kind of drugs. I was crushed.

My first reaction was to be embarrassed and that lead right away into anger. I'm not sure if that happens to any of you but for me embarrassment and anger go hand in hand. I immediately got mad at my husband. He kept trying to assure me that the reason they asked is because they care about me and are concerned. That didn't really make me feel any better.

I started replaying the whole party in my mind. What did I do that made them think I was on drugs? Is it so odd to see me happy and having a good time? Where they watching me the whole time? I just felt very self conscious. It was a horrible feeling. It still is really.

Once I started to cool down a bit and explain myself to my husband he could see where I was coming from but also could understand his family's concern. Prior to me admitting to everyone that I was addicted to Oxycontin they had known that something was wrong with me but had no idea what. Therefor no one had talked about it or mentioned anything to my husband, they just didn't want that to happen again.

It is nice to have people care about you. With that said it is a crappy feeling to work so hard at being clean, getting over depression and social anxiety and back to what you think is your normal happy self just to have people watching you and commenting that you are acting weird.

That's really the best that I can explain the feeling of this incident. As much as I don't want this situation to have any effect on how I act at parties in the future I know that it will. My social anxiety is back to where it used to be. I'll just have to work hard again at overcoming it without the use of drugs. I also need to let go of this situation so that past experiences don't dictate my future ones. It sounds very easy doesn't it?

Taken From WHAT WINNERS DO
Back to top Go down
Happylady5

Happylady5

Female
Number of posts : 93
Humor : It's a great day to be alive!
Registration date : 2010-06-06

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization Empty
PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization   THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:  Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Yuck, that is an icky feeling huh? I can see how that will effect you and how you will act in future, social situations. It kinda makes you think, if they genuinely cared about you to ask if you were high on drugs or if they were just gossiping about you. They could have brought it up with you, while having coffee or a movie. Instead of asking your husband about you and your private issues. I wouldn't know what to think of it either. I don't like people talking about me doing drugs, especially when I am not using. That is embarrassing. All that hard work, being clean, going out to a party and to have it all flushed down the toilet with one guys negative comments. Don't let it bother you. Go out again and show those people that is who you are, an outgoing person. Let them think your on drugs. You know you're not high and that's all that matters! Your not using.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was newly sober and we went to an AA meeting with my boyfriends dad. Afterwords, his dad said I was acting weird and asked if I was on drugs. I was so mad. All this time I was clean. It made me want to use and show him what I am really like high, but I didn't. I had my boyfriend call his dad up and tell him that I haven't used at ALL and that I was clean as a whistle. I was sad and mad at the same time.
Back to top Go down

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Addiction Recovery: Sober Socialization
Page 1 of 1