Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL Empty
PostSubject: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Sheriff announces another death in Gregg County Jail

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - Gregg County Sheriff Maxey Cerliano announced on Tuesday that an investigation had been initiated into the death of Micah Aaron Garner, 30, from Longview who was an inmate at Gregg County Jail.

Sheriff Cerliano said that the inmate was housed in a medical cell at Gregg County Jail. He had been checked in by jail staff at 7:01 pm. Garner told officials that he was addicted to methadone and heroin and was placed on a 30 minute watch.

When guards checked in on him at 7:30 pm, Garner was unresponsive in his cell.

Sheriff Cerliano says that this case is still under investigation.

article link
http://www.kltv.com/story/14859784/sheriff-announces-another-death-in-gregg-county-jail?=#WNPoll108115
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 5:23 pm

According to the Video below the inmate was checked at 7:01 pm and was alive at that time. He was again checked at 7:30 at which time he was found dead. It doesn't state what his condition was at 7:01, wheather or not he was ill, or otherwise. Just that he was alive.
To be perfectly honest and this is just my opinion, after the last death at this jail it would be very hard for me to belive anything that is said after the last death when paperwork was altered to reflect a non fault in that case.
I just don't see why it is so hard for the jail to make arrangements for inmates who are already taking Methadone to continue with this life saving medication.
I tired to post the video for you to view but for some reason it isn't showing up so I have to give you the link to follow.

http://www.kltv.com/category/194395/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5938959

Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:58 am

Also from what I can tell, this case is a bit different than Amy Cowling's in that Micah Garner was not legally prescribed methadone. Amy Cowling was being treated at a methadone clinic and was legally prescribed methadone for her addiction. From what I have read, Micah Garner was addicted to it and abusing it along with heroin & he wasn't on methadone legally and/or under a doctor's care.

The fact still stands, regardless of the circumstances of the person's situation, that they had inmates who needed medical attention/medical care due to methadone dependence and they were not given the proper care. As a result of this, they died.

You would have thought after Amy's situation they would have been much more careful about how they treat and handle inmates who come in and are dependant on methadone (for whatever reason)
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 4:31 am

I agree, for some reason I was under the impression that he was recieving his Methadone through a clinic due to a Heroin addiction. I must have misunderstood what was said.
But as you said, You would think they would have been more careful since having such a bad experience in the past.
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
tj

PostSubject: micah aaron garner   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 3:37 am

This is a reply to your posts about the death of Micah Aaron Garner. He was a personal friend of mine and i will never stop missing him. He was so sweet and so smart.....Im sorry, im getting off the point i got on here to make. YES, he was legally prescribed Methadone through a clinic. He unfortunately still abused heroin while in the care of the clinic. Ok. Thats all i wanted to state. Sorry for straying off my subject! Thx.,
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 11:36 am

Hi TJ. I am sorry about the loss of your friend Micah. Thanks for sharing with us and for clarifying the situation about if he was legally on methadone or not. The media is the only place I have been able to get any information and they don't always have the right info.

In the end, it doesn't matter if he was legally prescribed it or not, he still should have gotten medical care for his dependence to methadone and because he didn't, he lost his life. And the real clincher about all this is that it happened not once, but twice in the same jail in such a short matter of time.

I am curious, and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but do you know if Micah and Amy both went to the same methadone clinic? It says that Amy was from Gilmer and the closest methadone clinic to her was the EAST TEXAS CLINIC in Longview and it says Micah was from was from Longview. So it stands to reason they probably attended the same methadone clinic.

I was wondering about this because it would seem to me that when they went to jail, I am sure someone from the families or even Micah or Amy themselves notified the clinic about being incarcerated. Surely the clinic must have spoken to someone at the jail as well.

I know if it was me in that situation and I knew I was going to be there for several days, the first phone call I would have made was to the clinic (or whatever family member/friend you used your one call for, I would have made sure they called) so they could make sure I was given my meds or to speak to the jail about the importance of having my meds etc, so you know that Micah and/or Amy probably did the same thing.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing and again, I am sorry about your loss.
Back to top Go down
BekkahJ

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 pm

This article broke my heart...I had a personal experience with a similar circumstance...and I'm lucky to be alive. Ill be honest, I was not detoxing from methadone, but instead was coming off of heroin, so I know some will say its not similar at all, however the fact that these events happen in a situation where monitoring is supposed to be in place, is scary all in itself. I'll share my story if that's ok...I apologize for the lengthy message. The story I am about to share is actually the beginning of my journey into recovery, but it began quite bleak. I was leaving for inpatient treatment the next day, I was at the end of my rope with my addiction. I was using so much heroin at the time, that every time I attempted a cold turkey stop, I was thrown into life threatening seizures on top of the horror of withdrawal. So bad in fact, the doctor at the treatment facility where I got clean told me it was one of the most severe and life threatening cases of opiate withdrawal she had seen in 21 years of practice (not something I'm proud of). Anyway, the day before my supposed departure, I was pulled over by local police while at the beginning stages of withdrawal...the officer noticed I was in distress and I was honest with him about why. Instead of getting medical attention or investigating my "state of sickness" any further, he literally pulled me out of my car, cuffed me, shoved me onto the curb, and concentrated his efforts on finding a reason to arrest me. I was at such a low point, I was still almost grateful, thinking well, if I can't get any dope today at least someone will be watching to make sure I don't die. I was sorely mistaken. After an hour, he had managed to recover 1 empty wax bag, a few pieces of cotton, and the cap to a syringe...enough to arrest me for "possession of criminal tools" in the state I lived in. Upon being booked into the jail, I was evaluated by a nurse. My blood pressure was 174/110 an my pulse was over 120. Big time dangerous. I informed them of my history of withdrawal related seizures, they confirmed withy family doctor (who was very familiar with my addiction) and put me away from the general population in "medical bay". I was told I was under something called a 30-72, meaning I'd be medically evaluated every 30 mins for the first 72 hours of my stay. They subsequently tossed me in my medical isolation cell (complete with vomit on the walls from the inmate before me, and slammed the door. That was the last time I had face to face contact with a human for the next 13 hours. About 10 hours in, I felt an all too familiar feeling that ALWAYS preceeded my seizures. My hands would writhe and twist up in a dystonic reaction and go completely numb, then my lips would turn an eerie shade of blue and go numb as well. As this is happening, I'm frantically hitting the call button in my cell only to hear a voice down the hall say "if she hits that button one more time, I'm making her wait another hour". She finally called thru my cell intercom and nastily scowled "WHAT? WHAT COULDN'T WAIT??". I frantically told her what was going on and what was more than likely about to happen. She was sarcastic and condescending as she said "Ms. Smith, people don't have seizures an die from heroin withdrawal...I suggest you calm down". 5 minutes later I was blacked out on the floor. I woke up in a pool of sweat an saliva, sat up to the best of my ability and hit the call button again. I said "I think I had a seizure, and my hands are still numb, another one is coming." she didn't reply, I just heard her voice down the hall joking with another nurse (or C.O.) "junkie is playing sick, says her hands are numb...but I think her brain is just numb, she must think we are stupid". Thankfully, the second seizure did not come. A few hours later, the jail MD did his rounds. He was cold and very apathetic. He gave me 1 200mg ibuprofen and 1 benadryl (for anxiety lol!). Slammed the door behind him and never looked back. My blood pressure has RISEN by that point, but it was casually written down and nothing was done. The doctors visit was close to 13 hours after my book in. A few hours later, by the grace of God, a concerned relative bailed me out and took me straight to the emergency room where I had another seizure. The doctors said if I'd have had that seizure in jail and had been ignored as before, I would certainly have died. I was lied to by every official at the jail who promised my condition would be monitored, mocked and taunted by the nurses and CO's, and dismissed by the jail doctor. It is no surprise to me that addicts die in jails every day...and it makes my heart break with sadness.

I later learned that my mother and father had called to check on me at the jail and too were told that I'd be evaluated every 30 minutes for the first 72 hours....not familiar with that sort of setting, they took comfort in what they were promised and thought I was in good hands. I have heard of countless cases of health issues, miscarriages in pregnant women, cardiac arrest, etc., because inmates are ordered off methadone cold turkey. The numbers were staggering...and most who have made it out and found a better way have agreed that their withdrawal was used as a punishment of sorts...awful...just awful. I was lucky. I made it out alive, went on to treatment, and have been clean with the help of MMT for 3 years now. I still see a therapist and am still dealing with the post traumatic stress incurred from that incident. My heart and prayers go out to the addicts who encounter this kind of ignorance, and to the families of those who were lost in this war we fight for our lives. Love and peace to all.
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 am

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. We can read the articles and such, but to have someone who has actually gone through it and can tell us their own personal experience really helps those of us who have been fortunate to have not been in this situation understand what it must have been like.

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well on methadone. Some people feel like we are still junkies if we are on methadone but I beg to differ. Would I like to be off methadone? HECK YEAH! But knowing that I've tried countless times to get clean and failed miserably and probably would without methadone, I would prefer the lesser of the two evils (as far as I'm concerned it's the lesser of the two) and maintain and manage my addiction w/methadone.

I can't believe that with the blood pressure you had that they allowed you to sit there untreated for that alone! Too bad your family doctor couldn't have called and spoke with the jail adminitrator and/or doctor at the jail and insisted you get some help. Course, like you said, no one on the outside who cared about you knew what was really going on while you were on the inside.

Anyway, I tend to ramble so I will let you go for now. I am so glad you shared with us and hope to see you around more on the forum.
Back to top Go down
BekkahJ

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-11-02

PostSubject: More than happy to share   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 am

I'm more than happy to share, especially when it may help another addict out there know that they are never alone. Someone somewhere will always understand and lend a loving hand of help.

I wanted to say that this forum is awesome and I am soooooo happy I ran across it. A few weeks ago I had to go a day with no methadone because of a guest dosing clinic error. My mind was running rampant and I just needed some support, and that's how I found it. I spent the day reading posts, stories, etc. and it got me thru the day...and I felt like I had uncovered a gold mine of support and understanding!! If there were more places like this to educate those unfamiliar with what we face as MMT patients, maybe, just maybe, we could start to break out of this icky stigma we face as we recover. Thank you so much for doing what you do!!

You'll definitely see me around the forum quite often now, as this has become my little treasure trove of love, understanding, and information. I've been telling many of my fellow clinic goers about this site and look forward to getting to know you all as well!! Oh, and I tend to ramble as well, so ramble on girlfriend, that's what friends are for!

Much love and peace,
Bekkah
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 2:38 pm

haha. you might want to take back you giving me permission to ramble once you get to know me better and I've rambled a time or two to ya lol!

I am glad to hear that we've been a source of help for you. That is what we strive for and what the whole purpose of this forum and our website is for. It makes the time and effort we spend worth it when we know that we are doing some good and helping fellow patients.

I do look forward to hearing from you in the future!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL   A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL Empty

Back to top Go down

A SECOND METHADONE RELATED DEATH AT GREGG COUNTY JAIL
Page 1 of 1