Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Residents say Brooklyn methadone clinics created a ‘drug bazaar,’ authorities promise crackdown

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Residents say Brooklyn methadone clinics created  a ‘drug bazaar,’ authorities promise crackdown   Empty
PostSubject: Residents say Brooklyn methadone clinics created a ‘drug bazaar,’ authorities promise crackdown    Residents say Brooklyn methadone clinics created  a ‘drug bazaar,’ authorities promise crackdown   EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 pm

This article makes me so angry to read. If this is true, these are the methadone patients that make it harder on the ones who are legit in their treatment. I didn't include the comments from the public about this article but reading those makes me so angry as well. But again, if this is what's really going on there, it's no wonder they feel that way

Residents say Brooklyn methadone clinics created a ‘drug bazaar,’ authorities promise crackdown

Drugs sold openly at clinics in Clinton Hill and Crown Heights: Councilwoman

By Simon Weichselbaum

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Authorities are targeting two Brooklyn methadone clinics where addicts hustle drugs on the street after treatment.

Patients at the two centers in Crown Heights and Clinton Hill will face a three-strike rule if caught selling or buying drugs, officials said.

“It’s not just meth...They sell, they congregate,” and sell other things too,” said City Councilwoman Letitia James (D-Fort Greene), who called on District Attorney Charles Hynes to crack down on drug dealing in the area.

James charged addicts from the two clinics - Addiction Research and Treatment Corporation’s clinic on Fulton Street and Interfaith Medical Center’s methadone treatment program at 882 Bergen Street in Crown Heights - are part of a larger problem on Fulton Street where drugs are sold openly.

She teamed up with Hynes and “we met here on several occasions to come up with a good neighbor policy.”

Hynes, hoping a three-strike rule will deter addicts, said the “key to public safety is to stop recidivism..."None of us will tolerate that kind of conduct."

Residents said the clinics attracts a dangerous crowd.

“When they let out, it’s a whole flow of people carrying on,” said life long Clinton-Hill resident Brian McCullock, 24, waiting for the bus near one of the targeted clinics at 937 Futlon Street. “It’s a hassle.”

Five years ago, residents first complained to James that Fulton Street was becoming a “drug bazaar” with a lot of the dealers hanging around the Clinton-Washington C-train subway station, she said.

Parents in Clinton-Hill were happy to hear about the crackdown.

“We have children out walking these streets,” said Vernica Cranston, 32, pushing a stroller holding her three-year-old daughter’s hand. “It’s good they are doing this.”

Mom Sierra Young, 24, said she left Harlem two-months-ago for Clinton-Hill and plans on moving back to Manhattan.

“There are a lot of daytime robberies,” said Young walking with her 17-month-old son and two-year-old daughter. “It’s unsafe.”

This came from the New York Daily News and the original link is

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/crackdown-brooklyn-methadone-clinics-addicts-strikes-article-1.987271
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1