Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mike75

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  Empty
PostSubject: Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics    Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am

As you might be aware,The Tennessee Department Of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities has proposed significant changes to the rules that govern your treatment(Chapter #0940-05-42: Minimum Program Requirements For Non-Residential Opioid Treatment Program Facilities).The proposed rulemaking process is already underway.

i hope someone here can look into this.i am worried.
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics    Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 pm

This seems to be the topic everywhere and patients are in fear of loosing their treatment. I find it absolutely horrendous that treatment decisions are being made by politicians.

As long as a patient derives benefit from treatment and desires continued treatment there should never be a fixed length of time in treatment.
Cutting short treatment will only lead to relapse and death.
Jana Burson has had a lot to say on the subject. You can read her blog here:
Dr. Jana Burson
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
barbers

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics    Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 pm

I am trying to get my research together on this topic but the views of MMT are just beyond terrible. The stigma and discrimination I have had to endure due to non-educated Dr.'s, Employers, Law Enforcement( If you come through here after the clinic you had better act you don't have any idea what methadone is or you will be given a DUI and searched. It still hasn't clicked to them that every person that has been "trashed" leaving the clinic they have found more than methadone on their person at the time. I pray that as I continue my edu that I will increasingly get opportunities to fight some of this prejudice behavior and ignorance. I am currently researching for a paper that I am writing on this very topic!!! I am determined to help!!!
Back to top Go down
barbers

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics    Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks so much for the prompt answers!!! And it is awful for everyone. My counselor kept telling me that it shouldn't effect me but I still want to make others aware! It sickens me that my home town was going to get a treatment facility because of the high amount of people having to drive so far for help and the need in this community is astonishing!!! They went nuts!!! Says it will bring "dope addicts" and "criminals" into the county which is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard! If addicts are able to affordably support their needs and not become sick, they are LESS likely to do anything of the sort! This is just one of the ways that discrimination and harassment of MMT patients start. I will do whatever it takes. I am a student working hard at making things better for those of us in treatment or need of treatment. THAT IS THE REASON FOR MY DEGREE!!!! I am here to help anytime. I have given 3 speeches ion my speech class this semester dealing with prescription addiction. I hope if maybe we all work together we can make a change in this constant degrading environment we are forced to live in here in TN!
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics    Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:25 pm

I know, I know. In my town we had a meeting, one of the O.B.'s here said that we had too many pregnant women who needed to get into treatment and fast. They decided that we would have an all around type of treatment facility. Treatment combined with Medical as well.
It all sounded good and we had the meetings. Now is the time to decide where to put it. While everyone agreed that help is needed, no one wants it in their neighborhood.
They are all concerned with lack of security or so they say.
What they don't see is how much good it will do. Not only will treatment cut down on the crimes that come with using it will help more people who cannot afford or get medical help.

My state wanted to make the same changes as TN has proposed but when it came down to it, length of treatment needs to be left up to the patient and the provider. Not some government bureaucrat that knows nothing about addiction or what it's like to need proper treatment.

Other states as well has tried to do the same but in the end, it didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics    Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tennessee Trying To Shut Down Or Change Laws At Methadone Clinics
Page 1 of 1