Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics Empty
PostSubject: Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics   Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics News_m13

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Sophia Grant has used methadone for more than 10 years to treat an addiction to painkillers. Eddy Brown has used it for 18 months.
They don't know how much longer they'll need the medication, they told lawmakers Tuesday. But both say it saved their lives.

West Virginia has nine for-profit methadone clinics, and legislators are examining how they work. The Legislature put a moratorium on new clinics in 2007.

Earlier this year, some lawmakers caused a stir when they proposed taxing methadone, which is used to treat addiction to drugs like OxyContin and heroin. Tax revenues would have funded addiction prevention, treatment and recovery programs.

The proposal failed, and some lawmakers are still worried that methadone clinics create a "revolving door" situation, where patients swap their addiction to one drug with another. They're also concerned about the growing number of deaths linked to methadone.

On Tuesday, Mark Parrino, president of the American Association For the Treatment of Opioid Dependence (AATOD), told legislators that it's true that some people must take methadone the rest of their lives. But every individual situation is different, he said.

The drug has been exhaustively researched, he said.
Many of the deaths linked to methadone stem from its use as a painkiller, Parrino said. But he cautioned that even when used for addiction, it can be lethal when combined with alcohol and other drugs.

Parrino emphasized that methadone should be combined with services like addiction counseling.

"The medication is not treatment," he said. "It's a medication."

Both Grant and Brown said they receive counseling as part of their treatment. "It's not magic by itself," Grant said.

Senate Minority Leader Don Caruth, R-Mercer, said there's a notion among lawmakers that some addicts ignore other types of treatment in favor of methadone clinics.

Caruth has advocated in the past for tough regulations on clinics, and for stopping their expansion.

"Five years ago, I had the preconceived notion, as many legislators do, and many people do, that methadone is just an excuse to continue a habit," he said.

Today, he still favors monitoring the clinics, but sees methadone treatment as an effective option, he said.

"It's hard not be very sympathetic when [methadone patients] say how wrecked their life was when they were taking drugs," he said.
Source:
http://wvgazette.com/News/200909150346

Posted by:
Dee
10/06/2009
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
mram50

Male
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics Empty
PostSubject: To bad it's not a national thing   Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:59 am

If these legislators were national they might see just how many people depend on treatment, but sadly for many patients they carry a lot of baggage that even treatment won't help like a past they leave behind sometimes.
I'm one. I left behind my life of drug use for treatment yet "The People" will never relent and must extract their pound of flesh no matter how far a patient might have come to rehabilitate themselves. Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics Icon_pale
It's been seven years of successful treatment and yet they keep me pinned down unable to feed myself or put a roof over my head with the threat of "The People" needing it's pound of flesh.
That part is never studied...is it?
Back to top Go down

Law Makers Study Methadone Clinics
Page 1 of 1