Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

THOUGHT FOR TODAY 10/27/09 WHAT HAPPENS IF I RELAPSE???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

THOUGHT FOR TODAY 10/27/09 WHAT HAPPENS IF I RELAPSE??? Empty
PostSubject: THOUGHT FOR TODAY 10/27/09 WHAT HAPPENS IF I RELAPSE???   THOUGHT FOR TODAY 10/27/09 WHAT HAPPENS IF I RELAPSE??? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 10:46 am

Even though as MMT pts we are less likely to relapse as those who are doing it cold turkey, it still does and CAN happen. If we ever get to a point in our lives where we are thinking that "it won't happen to me" then we have gotten too far away from the realities of our addiction and need a "gut check".

One thing to remember though is in the event that you do have a "weak moment" or a full blown episode of relapse is that you do not beat yourself up about it! Yes, it was wrong and yes, it probably caused us to go back two steps with those who we have worked so hard to rebuild trust with, but you have got to get back on the sober track and push on!

It is also helpful if we know some of the reasons, or triggers, we have that cause us to want to use. I know that even now, after 9 yrs of stable MMT, when I feel overwhelmed with housework I still get that "longing" sometimes or what I use to call "the itch in my brain" and I would love to have a little sum sum to get me through the unpleasant, drudgery of housework! You know what I am talking about! It is then that I will either jump right into a housework task that I know will get my mind off of the urge (because 9 times out of 10 these are what I call mild cravings, the ones where they are more out of habit and if you find something to do to get your mind off of it, it will go away) or thankfully I am able to go to my husband and say, look, I am struggling with this, it is something I use to have to get high to do, and I am really craving right now. It is then that he usually nods his head, gives me a hug and says "what can I do to help?". It helps to have someone, doesn't have to be a husband, but someone you feel comfortable enough to share those weak moments with. Then the burden isn't so heavy because you have someone else helping you carry it along!

I've gotten side tracked on what I really wanted to say, so I will quit now and just post this great article I found on relapse! Have a great day everyone!

THOUGHT FOR TODAY 10/27/09 WHAT HAPPENS IF I RELAPSE??? Addict12

What Happens If I Relapse?

You have not failed because you relapse. You are normal because you relapse. We all have relapsed when trying to find our way out of the alcohol and drug trap. Never allow a relapse to discourage you from coming to sobriety. As a matter of fact, when we succumb to our addictions we can actually learn from them. Most of us fall back on our addictions for many reasons and here are three of those reasons. See if they ring a chord with you as well.

NOT COMMITTED

The first reason is because we just weren’t ready in our heart to stop the addiction – we felt anxious and fearful being without our best friend, and so our uncommitted heart caved in under pressure. We have all done it. Think of addiction as a “hard to break bad habit.” But don’t fret too much over it. Just because you’re not ready to quit now, certainly does not mean that you won’t be committed later. Keep trying and don’t give up!

Have you ever listened to the little voice in your head telling you that your addiction is ok? You know the voice – the reliable little guy that keeps telling you reasons why it’s okay to keep feeding your addiction. It goes something like this. “I’m not really addicted, I can stop at anytime” or about this one. “If I was not married to so and so, I would not need to drink anymore.” We have all heard this one. “My life is just too stressful and I only need it to unwind.” We hear the voice and we listen because the voice is a symptom of addiction.

SAME FRIENDS, SAME PLACES

Now I am sure you have all heard the old adage, “birds of a feather flock together”, right? Well, it is very true! We relapse because we have not changed our friendships and lifestyle. But a newly sober addict cannot be around the same people or places they were in before – it’s like driving with a blindfold on, hoping you can stay in your own lane. Whewy! Life comes at you fast when we aren’t taking the needed precautions that we ought to.

LACK OF SUPPORTIVE FRIENDSHIPS

It is difficult to be alone and remain sober. We all need friendships, especially encouraging ones that we can go to when we are feeling down. It is never a good idea to be in negative relationships when trying to overcome our addictions. We need to choose friends that are REAL friends – they hang in there with you when the going gets tough and they help you get tougher. These kinds of birds are harder to find, but if you hang out in the same places as these birds you’ll find some great friends.

“You'd be surprised how much fun you can have sober. When you get the hang of it”. - Joe (Jack Lemmon) in Days of Wine and Roses, 1962

Taken from "You Can Conquer Addiction"
Back to top Go down

THOUGHT FOR TODAY 10/27/09 WHAT HAPPENS IF I RELAPSE???
Page 1 of 1