Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cski

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Gas powered remote control vehicles
Registration date : 2010-05-18

Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone Empty
PostSubject: Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone   Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:30 am

Is it OK to take Ultram with methadone, or will it "throw me into withdrawal"? I am very leary about taking them.

I thought I read somewhere that "Ultram will add to the effects of Methadone". However, the word-of-mouth by other patrons of my clinic said it might cause withdrawal.

I am clean, and do not abuse anything anymore, and I am a take-home patient at FMTC, Fairfax Co, VA. The clinic is aware that I am going to weekly dental visits where I am poked and drilled and filed and prodded. He gives me vicodin on the painful visits- 10 to 20 max, but they do not help the pain. The Vicodin scripts are taken to the clinic by me where they are counted and approved by my counselor and the clinic nurse, so there is not "funny business".

I am on 130mg of methadone daily. Should I try Ultram, or is it contra-indicated.

Please if anyone knows for sure AND people who have actually taken this combination please let me know your wisdom!!!

Thanks,

Chris
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone   Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 3:08 am

CSKI,
I'm sorry I have had some appointments this week and I did't see your post until tonight. I am glad that you asked before taking Ultram.
You should not take Ultram while taking Methadone. Taking the two together can cause precipitated withdrawal.
In the clinic that I attended there was a list posted in my counselors office of Medication that should not be taken with Methadone and I do remember Ultram being on that list.
I also looked it up for you to make sure and have it posted below.

Interactions between your selected drugs
Major

methadone ↔ tramadol
Applies to: methadone, Ultram (tramadol)

GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of tramadol increases the seizure risk in patients taking other opioids. These agents are often individually epileptogenic and may have additive effects on seizure threshold during coadministration. CNS- and respiratory-depressant effects may also be additive. In patients who have been previously dependent on or chronically using opioids, tramadol can also reinitiate physical dependence or precipitate withdrawal symptoms.

You can check drug interactions here:
Drugs.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
cski

Male
Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Gas powered remote control vehicles
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Thanks so much for the Tramadol info/warning   Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

Yes, that is what I thought. I just needed someone to kind of confirm Tramadol as not being a good idea.

I DO take Trileptal for stopping seizures. So, taking Tramadol could be life threatening to me.

I am trying to figure out if there is any medicine that will work for acute dental pain from surgical procedures done on my $9000.00 dental problems.

Vicodin just does nothing to relieve acute pain. Anyone got any ideas? (I am NOT looking to "get high"). I am on 130mg of methadone, which is a blocking dose for me.

Thanks

Chris
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone   Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Chris
I spoke to Deborah Shrira about the problem that you are having with you dental pain. Just recently she had dental work done herself and I wanted to see what was done for her.
Last year the dentist she saw wrote her a prescription for the work she was having done, but that did not help at all with her pain. Recently she broke her clavicle and the pain was so severe that she needed pain medication above her Methadone. Her primary care provider gave her a prescription for a few dilaudid. Very few but even then it didn't help. She spoke to her clinic and they agree that her dose of Methadone should be raised to cover the pain. While it did not cover all of her pain, I believe it did help some.
Have you tried speaking to your clinic to see if they could temp raise your dose of Methadone to see if that will help with the pain?
I don't know how your clinic is about things such as this, but it is worth a try. That and taking ibuprofen to help with the swelling and inflammation may help some.
Just a suggestion.
Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone   Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone Empty

Back to top Go down

Tramadol (Ultram) and Methadone
Page 1 of 1