Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread Empty
PostSubject: Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread   Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 am

Just because this is in another country doesn't mean it can't happen here next. All the more reason to try and work your MAT program properly and not use heroin.

Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread published Date: 23 February 2010

By Hilary Duncanson

A TENTH heroin user has died in Scotland after becoming infected with anthrax.

The latest death came in the Fife area, Health Protection Scotland said yesterday.

Elsewhere, another drug user was confirmed to be infected with the deadly bacteria after using what is thought to be a contaminated batch of heroin.

The individual is being treated in a hospital.

Officials said the case was the first in the Dumfries and Galloway area, indicating that the outbreak is continuing to spread around the country.

Health Protection Scotland said the spread of the outbreak to a new area suggests that contaminated heroin is still in circulation.

Scotland has seen a total of 24 cases linked to heroin during this outbreak.

Anthrax is a deadly bacterial infection which occurs mostly in animals in Asia, Africa and parts of Europe. Humans are seldom infected and it is extremely rare for anthrax to be spread from person to person.

The current outbreak began with the identification of cases in NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde in December. Cases have now been recorded in seven NHS board areas across Scotland.

An investigation by health boards, the procurator fiscal and Strathclyde Police is trying to identify the source.

One possibility is that contaminated heroin, or a contaminated agent used to cut the drug, is to blame.

Dr Colin Ramsay, consultant epidemiologist at Health Protection Scotland, said

: "There is no way to tell if your heroin is contaminated and there is no way to prepare or take heroin that will make it safe if it has anthrax contamination.

"Drug users are advised to stop taking heroin if at all possible. While we appreciate this may be difficult advice to follow, it remains the only public health protection advice possible."
Article Source:
scotsman.com
Back to top Go down
D
Admin
D

Female
Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread   Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I completely agree with you RuthAnn. Now days you never know what is being used to cut that heroin that your about to buy. MAT does work. As long as you stick with your program and work it. No one ever said it would be an easy task. And there are days that I'm sure a lot of people wonder if what you go through on a daily basis is sometimes worth it. But it is worth it. MAT saves lives.
Back to top Go down
http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org

Tenth heroin addict dies as anthrax continues to spread
Page 1 of 1