Methadone: A Flicker Of Light In The Dark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To provide a better understanding of the very important role methadone plays in the treatment of addiction.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??

Go down 
+3
dara
SunshineSmiles
lilgirllost
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? Empty
PostSubject: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:50 am

METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? Methad10METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? Methli10

Hi everyone. I have had an exerience I wanted to share with you all and get your input on it.

I am currently on a dose of 120mg once a day. At my "old" clinic, they started out giving us the name brand METHADONE. (these were orange, football shaped, oblong, pills) After about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs, they started giving us a generic form (white, perfectly round with methadose stamped on them). I was in the process of a dose change at the time so I wasn't able to really tell if there was a difference in the two as far as how they worked. I know they were a cheaper version because we could still have the orange pills if we preferred but the clinic charged $20 xtra a week if you wanted the orange vs the white ones. SO, the white ones were a cheaper, generic brand.

After being on 120mg for 4 yrs, I again felt I needed an increase (which I never got from this clinic even though I should have.....long story so won't go into that part) for over a year I struggled on teh 120mg till I couldn't take it anymore.

I transferred to a new clinic and they give the orange, oblong, football shaped ones.

Now here is the point of my story I wanted to share with you guys, I was scheduled to see the doc 5 days later to discuss my history for transfer and for her to evaluate me herself and even though she was willing to give me the increase, I asked her if we could hold off a little bit longer because I felt that the orange pills were "lasting" me longer and I didn't seem to be having as much trouble w/withdrawal symptoms and cravings. I KNOW it is not in my head, these orange pills seems to work better.

The doc said that yes, it is probably true and not in my head. Even though there are strict rules for making generics, they are still allowed to be within 3mgs more or less of the active ingredient in the medications they make. That means that if I take 3 40mg tablets (120mg), then it could actually only be a dose of 3 37mg tablets (111mg) Also, the binders and fillers they use may be different and it may have your body process it slower than the other version.

Research on the internet was mainly not backed up by any "professional" studies. Most of the information was from personal experience or "educated conclusions" by the clinic docs and nurses but it seemed most people had these things to say..........

The liquid methadone will "hit" you faster, but being a liquid it will probably also go through your system faster than any pill forms that have been dilluted.

methadose can be up to 3 mgs per pill less than it is "says" it is so you are actually not getting the full amount of the active ingredient. The different binders in it will make it work through your system slower than the liquid form, but still goes through upir system faster than the methadone "name brand" version.

methadone seems to be the one that last the longest of the three. If it says 40mg, you are getting the 40mg and the binders and fillers seem to keep it in your system a lot longer.

I would like to get an opinion from you guys or to hear about your experience with this.

Last edited by lilgirllost on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SunshineSmiles

SunshineSmiles

Female
Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : waitress
Humor : I can garauntee you won't find nobody else lik me!
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: pills are better   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:01 am

Before I was at the clinic I used to buy the white methadose pills and once or twice I got the orange ones couldn't tell much difference but I had no problems, now that I am at my clinic you must have a dr note to get the white methadose otherwise everyone gets the cherry liquid version, not sure why but I have had incredible stomach problems almost the entire year I have been there either puking regularly eating more zantac than anyone could imagine and always being sick at my stomach. I hate it but I don't have insurance to go to a dr and i don't have a family dr so I don't know how to go about getting switched. Just my opinion though
Back to top Go down
dara

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 1:05 pm

That's real interesting info lil.Thank you for sharing it.
I've had the cherry liquid and asked for the orange diskettes which I had no prob getting from them.
I haven't had the white ones so can't give an opinion .
I did notice no difference between the liquid and orange pills though. METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? Icon_santa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 10:57 pm

i was on the orange 40mg tablets for almost 2 years but i started getting really sick off of them. i would dose & w/in 15 minutes, i was sick (throwing up). my clinic tried disolving them in cold water - still got sick. we tried me breaking them up & taking them like pills - still got sick. finally while discussing this w/ my doctor at the clinic - after dosing - i threw up in his trash can. so gross & embarressing! i got switched to the liquid immediately that day! i do start w/drawing after about 14-16 hours. i have gone up on my dose since being switched. my personal opinion is that the liquid does not last as long as the orange 40mg diskettes/ tablets. but i sure as heck am not switching. if i throw up the orange tablets i get 0mgs as opposed to my 190mgs of liquid that might not last as long but at least i can finish it! at my clinic you can get whichever you prefer, but the diskettes are $1/day more than liquid.
Cat
Back to top Go down
olddavid

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyThu Dec 03, 2009 12:45 pm

I was on the orange tabs, the white tabs, the clear liquid and the red, too. My personal take is the orange was by far the longest lasting, as well as the strongest. It also took at least 30 minutes to take effect. Next, was the clear liquid. Nasty tasting stuff, but 10 minute onset and reasonable duration made it acceptable. Third would have to be the white methadose tabs. They also took a long time to work, but I never had discomfort at the 20+ hour mark. Last, on my hit parade, is the cherry juice. This medicine, I find, will not last for the 24 hours you need, and I also found that I needed at least 10% (more like 20% in fact) more dosage to accomplish the same task. This variation would seem to put to the test our so-called purity standards overseen by the FDA. A high school chem student could do better.
Back to top Go down
keemo7

keemo7

Female
Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : I love animals and all arts/crafts.
Humor : silly/ironic
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Liquid vs. 40mg biscuits/dolophine   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Recently, some of us have been speaking on the topic of how accurate the measurement is of liquid methadone. In addition to the topic of measurement, I have an issue with the different ways the liquid and biscuits seem to effect me. I was on 100mg. of biscuits for 18 consecutive years. I had a problem at that clinic and started at a new one. This clinic uses the liquid. I don't know if it's because my body is so used to the biscuits, but I swear that the liquid just doesn't work as well. I'm very happy with the clinic I now attend (N. Charles-Somerville, MA). Generally speaking, I believe they make an earnest effort in helping and trying to understand thier clients, and I respect their collective attitude and methods. The last clinic (ATCNE-Brighton, MA) was over-the top in their lack of fair and humane treatment. I believe they represent exactly how a methadone clinic should NOT operate. Sorry for getting off track there. Anyway, I've experienced a radical change in the way the liquid dose is working. I've been raised to 110mg, and I still don't feel the continuity I felt when I was on the biscuits. I'm just not feeling like myself, physically or psychologically, and it's extremely frustrating and depressing. I'm starting to believe that I will never feel "right" again. For my primary issues: depression, chronic pain, insomnia, and agoraphobia, methadone was the only thing that ever entirely helped me. Today I actually called my clinic therapist (who's a lovely young lady by the way) and asked her if she could find out if there's any possible way the clinic might consider dosing me with biscuits. Having the long history and experience I have with clinics, I know that this is most likely impossible, but I figured I might as well ask. I really wonder why we, as medical patients, are treated so poorly and given such a tiny amount of consideration in our treatment. I cannot think of any other individuals receiving continuous medical care, who are constantly having to fight an uphill battle when it comes to humane and effective treatment. I'm not complaining about the clinics. I see it as more of an issue with the excessive regulations imposed by our government. As a paying client and a tax paying citizen, I wonder why we don't seem to have representation to protect our basic rights to caring and individualized medical treatment. I've discussed this with my psychiatrist when I first started seeing him, and he told me that I should go on Oprah. I told him that would be hard to do since I have a difficult time walking out my front door!!
Back to top Go down
lilgirllost
Admin
lilgirllost

Female
Number of posts : 863
Job/hobbies : COUPONING & GEOCACHING are my favorite past times but I also love reading and spending time with my husband and kids
Humor : I don't have a sense of humor.............
Registration date : 2009-05-25

PostSubject: Re: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey Keemo,
thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am going to merge your post with a topic we already started about this very subject, methadone liquid versus biscuits versus generic methadone etc.

You can find the posting here if you want to check out the past responses to see what others have said about this subject
https://methadone.forumotion.net/do-you-have-any-questions-about-methadone-f5/methadone-vs-methadose-vs-liquid-what-do-you-think-t223.htm

Have a good day and you hang in there!
Back to top Go down
adambomb

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT STRENGTHS/TYPES OF METHADONE   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 pm

I have been on methadone maint for 10 years, it has saved my life and I am a huge advocate of it. I have researched and experienced what I am about to comment on and it is 100% true and not just in my mind. The clinic I have been going to for 10 years has always used the clear methadone, delivered to the clinic as a powder compound and then mixed by a chemist/pharm there. this methadone has been very effective and works everyday. I have been clean for years, I DO NOT take ANY other medications, I exercise and eat right, I am very aware and intune with how I feel when I take my methadone. About 2 months ago the clinic changed to this syrupy red methadone AND IT DOES NOT WORK, IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME THING. When you take your methadone, liquid you should start to feel in about 20-25 mins, you KNOW you have taken your medication, you feel better than before you took it, you have energy and you feel "good". This red methadone DOES NOT have that effect. I have researched this, transferred to another clinic and to no avail this crappy IN-EEFECTIVE methadone is all the place. I used to see people post this type of thing and then watch people bash them saying it is all the same blah blah blah ,,,IT IS NOT !!!!......PERIOD. We are being given ineffective methadone and it is not acceptable. I dont know if these pharm companies are doing this intentionally to TRY to cut back on over doses or whatever, I do not belive in spook stories or conspiracy theories but we ARE ENTITLED TO METHADONE THAT IS EFFECTIVE AND WORKS LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. I believe the recovery rates and success stories would be greatly increased if this un acceptable methadone was not being used everywhere. It might be why people need to go to very high levels over the last 10 years. It might be why alot of people never really feel good on their medication. We NEED TO STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHT TO EFFECTIVE METHADONE, alot of people who have only had the crappy kind obviously have NO IDEA what the REAL medication works like, THAT IS NOT OK. Methadone, Methadose, roxanne, malincrodt, lilly, vistapharm blah blah blah, I do not know exactly WHY or WHICH works well, I KNOW THIS : the methadone my clinic used that was very effective was vistapharm, the COMPOUND, MIXED THEIR bythe chemist, the methadone they switche to that SUCKS is ALSO Vistapharm but it is PRE PACKAGED at THEIR factory, it is horrible and does not work, it is not the amount EITHER, it is MISSING SOMETHING. The clinic also has VistaPharm disktettes AND THEY ALSO DO NOT WORK. So there you go, 3 types of methadone, all made by the same company but only ONE of them is effective, THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE WE NEED TO FIGHT THIS AND DEMAND METHADONE THAT WORKS THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TOO. Maybe people wouldnt be taking xanax and everything else by the handfuls if their medication worked like it is supposed to ??? RIGHT ??? I ahve been clean for 7 years and when I was taking the effective methadone I needed NOTHING, on this carp I ahve never wanted to use so bad. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AND WE NEED TO DEMAND THAT OUR MEDICATION IS RIGHT.
Back to top Go down
Den

Den

Male
Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : нет
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 7:29 am

I'm sure that will give rise to the correct answer to the question or rather a theme for reflection and maybe it really is because of this! . I mean different in structure and action "methadone," and it's like we have in Ukraine use two names, "methadone" is "metadol" Canadian production "metaddikt" frantsuzkogo production! . Canadian "metadoL" is used as an anesthetic and no where in the world do not use methadone treatment programs! . Only here in Ukraine! . French "metaddikt" is designed for methadone treatment programs in many countries of Europe!. But there is a difference between these names is that even though the same thing that is METHADONE! . "metadoL" as well as "LAAM" (levorotatory action) but the "metaddikt" (dextrorotatory action)!!!! . To be honest I do not quite understand how it is and what it is but I'm sure the doctors know and understand what I mean! . So being in therapy for almost two years I took over the "metadoL" and all was well and feeling good, etc. . But appeared "metaddikt" and we are all forced to go to him! Dose at the time I was here when 130 mg.Tak I began to receive "metaddikt" I literally two weeks lying on the bed as wool I was ill the explicit expression of withdrawal syndrome was not but the condition was very, very bad! . All patients complained but doctors said it could not be similar pills and they are all the same they are all different names only METHADONE! . We got used to these new pills for three months at least, I myself was very sick sick weakness was not of such energy as before! But after about three months, the body seems to be used and rebuilt! . Now the question is if the name is a common one and it METHADONE why the different names for different effects may be all the same the difference is?
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.twitter.com/KordenRuf"&a
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??   METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think?? Empty

Back to top Go down

METHADONE vs METHADOSE vs LIQUID - what do you think??
Page 1 of 1